metronomes and timing on songs

rcsnydley

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:31 am

jayswett wrote:
Very basic question:
What is the difference between a measure and a bar?
Nothing, different words for the same thing.

Ric

helloworld

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:52 pm

BigBear wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:
helloworld wrote:
No, a digital metronome of decent quality set to 4/4 will click 8 times per measure, once per 1/8 beat. It clicks four times per measure when set to 0/4.
Is there anyone else out there who can chime in on this one. I have never seen a metronome that counts 8 beats on a standard 4/4 time signature. Does your metronome have a setting for 1/4 notes and 1/8 notes?

Ric

I have a really good Boss digital metronome and in "normal" mode it plays 4 beats in 4/4 time. But I can set it to play in 1/8 or even 1/16th notes. And you can set the volume to accent whatever beat you want to hear.

Like I said, I think playing 1/8 notes gets too busy to play along with.

Cheers! :cheer:
Hmm, I have a Boss as well. It has a little digital needle that moves from left to right and the beats come when it hits either side. Obviously the needle moves faster as you increase the tempo. If I set it to 4/4 it ticks on the outer edges and beeps when it's straight up and down (directly in between the sides, indicating the & strum).

I guess preference just depends on how our individual minds work. I find I get totally lost if it's only beating 4 times and I'm struming 8 times (4 down & 4 up) or what ever combination of ups and downs. I somehow can't wrap my mind around the fact that I'm strumming up in between the beats unless I hear a beat when I strum up. I'm kinda sucky with a metronome anyways though, so every little bit helps. I'm much better at strumming along with another person, or following Neil in the play through section of the lessons.

Isn't it kind of weird/cool that we're all so unique? You get lost if there's more than 4 beats, I get lost if there's less beats than I'm strumming.

I was messing around with my nome yesterday during this conversation and set it to 2/4, 3/4, and some other weird timings like 2/3, etc. Now those really confused me! Not sure if I could even use a metronome on those things; I'd probably just have to feel it out.

I could upload a video of my metronome doing it's thing if you'd like to see it.

Music Junkie

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:44 pm

I have an inexpensive Boss and it counts the 1/8 notes as well. As the needle goes back and forth, it beeps at each side for the 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. When it reached the last &, it makes a different tone, to let you know you have finished 4 full beats.

I can also set it so it beeps half way between each side as well......

MJ

:)

helloworld

Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Yes mine is rather inexpensive too. I think I paid $30 for the thing and it doubles as a tuner.

Music Junkie

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
I have an inexpensive Boss and it counts the 1/8 notes as well. As the needle goes back and forth, it beeps at each side for the 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. When it reached the last &, it makes a different tone, to let you know you have finished 4 full beats.

I can also set it so it beeps half way between each side as well......

MJ

:)
Sorry, mine is a Korg. I had it out last night and was scrolling through the options, and there are some for triplets, and other strange accents as well.

MJ

gchapel

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:36 am

Nothing. A measure is just another term for a bar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic