Chord and Scale question

heyjoe

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi MJ

Thanks for the reply, you haven't completely confused me yet, I don't have any vino to hand- the diet has started! Also, I've had 3.5 hrs sleep in the last 40 hours, so I can't believe I'm understanding all this, and I am!, maybe sleep deprivation is the way for me to learn theory!

I'm going to sit down sometime soon and go through the exercises you mentioned, they sound like they'll help a lot.

Thanks

Joe

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Sounds good Joe! Get some sleep though man.

Hope you have a great weekend.

MJ

TGSuzanne

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:04 am

Joe:

One thing that may help you is to play the C scale into some sort of recording device, you probably have something around.

Then try playing the chords that go with that C scale:

C
Dm
Em
F
G
Am
Bdim

You can learn to hear how these chords fit with the scale. When you get good at that, do it the other way...record the chords, playing them about 8 beats each, and then run around the C scale while a chord is playing. You'll start to get a good feel of how chords and scales work together (where and when) and your ear will be trained to boot.

Once you know the scale and the key of any scale, you can see how to figure out the chords. But that is for another lesson. :silly: :silly:

Suzanne

TGSuzanne

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:05 am

Joe:

It helps to learn how to construct the scale first, then the chords. Learning both at once is daunting for a newbie.

Suzanne

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:28 am

Hey Suzanne!

Thanks so much for responding in this thread. It is going to be great to have a theory guru around here. I have very limited knowledge of theory and in just a few parts of it. I am fascinated by theory, but trying to find the time to practice all of the songs and learn all of the theory and work and raise a family and and and and....well you get the idea.....lol

Anyway, welcome again, and it is great to have you aboard. The gang speaks highly of you and we are lucky to have you here.

Cheers!

MJ Image

AndyT

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Welcome to the club TGSuz! We are glad you joined us. We have a theory group and if you wouldn't mind, we could sure use a theory expert in there. Ric has been doing most of it, but he is so overworked in his day to day life. It would be really great to have you join us in there.

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:37 pm

Great point Andy! Glad you said that.

MJ

:)

Lavallee

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks for joining us, Suzanne. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but will there be a formal theory class, sort of speak? Starting from scratch going up or will you answer the questions as they come up?

Welcome aboard

Marc

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 pm

My tuppence worth, I guess the format/structure is already in Suzannes mind of how to cope with all of us, but at the same time due to our various levels I would hope that we can jump around a bit. Me a structured start middle and end is good, you know logical progression.

But aren't we so lucky to now have a TG theory guru. Again my tuppence worth whilst we do have a group and now a thread wouldn't it be best to localise things in one place otherwise we run the risk of missing vital info?

willem

Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:05 am

tgsuzanne wrote:
[quote]Joe:

One thing that may help you is to play the C scale into some sort of recording device, you probably have something around.

[/ quote

Very welcome Suzanne, i think we getting somewhere now..
Maybe its off topic but i want to give a tip, when i have the money i buy
me me EDIROL-R-09HR, very nice in recording mp3. Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic