Writing a Song

TGSuzanne

Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:48 pm

I think there as many ways to write songs are there are musicians!! Yes, it does help to understand theory, but it isn't required. Developing your ear to hear intervals is a very useful skill when composing! I use music theory when I'm looking for a certain resolution to a progression or a direction for a line. Otherwise, most of my composing of pieces comes from improvising on the piano! I'll hear a chord progression and then once I play it over and feel like it is something that says something, eventually some sort of melody starts to grow out of it. Even though I'm a flute player I've only written a half dozen songs that started out as a melody.

A way to get a little leg up on writing either melodies or harmonies is to listen carefully to pieces of music you like and figure out what the composers have done to create a line, mood or harmony you like. See if you can figure out the chord progression, then experiment with that progression. Many melodies can "sound" over one chord progression, so you won't be stealing anyone's tune.

This is one of many ways I compose. Give it a try.

---Suzanne

goldleaf

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Jim, Suzanne obviously knows what she is talking about. I putter around with music and know very little theory. I do what Suzanne mentioned, listen to other songs and chord progressions that I like and try to duplicate part of it and add on from there, try different chords or notes until it sounds right to me. If I knew more I probably wouldn't have to try so many different notes or chords because I would know they don't go with the key I'm playing in, but in the end it's a matter of being able to hear in your mind what you want your guitar to sound like and make it do that. Gary

goldleaf

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:27 pm

Suzanne, it is really super to have someone who understands, in detail, music theory and music in general and can explain it to us intermediate players who may have more experience than music knowledge. It helps to bring it together, kind of winging it along with help from those that really know what they are talking about. We have a good group of people with a variety of knowledge and opinions so your expertise really helps round TG out with a better product for everyone. Gary

Music Junkie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
goldleaf wrote:
as soon as I figure out how to use this new camcorder and transfer it to YouTube & TG. Gary.
Gary, forgot to ask what kind of camcorder you are using. Is it a hard disk type, or a CD type? Either way, once you record, you just need to: 1: connect you camcorder to your computer via a USB cable (if you have the hard disk type). or 2. place the disk from your camcorder into your computer. From there, you should have a file of type .avi, .wmv, .mpg, .mpeg, .mov ,etc. depending on your camcorder or your recording settings. You can directly upload most of those files to youtube. If you need to convert it to another format, I have links to some great freeware to do those conversions for you (very simple programs too). Anyway, if I can help out in any way, don't hesitate to ask....

Cheers!

MJ
I have a Canon FS200 w/ a 4gb SDHC card, but I'd probably use the USB connector to transfer my video to my computer. That what I was thinking, hope it works out OK, it's my first time so I might take the offers for assistance with making sure I've got it set to the right type of file. After I do it a few times hopefully it should be easier, like most things I do with the computer ( for me) I'm a little slow but I usually find out I make it harder than it is. I PM'd Al and he sent me to the "Group" Tech Support etc' where it has the address to transfer your video from your computer to YouTube, so I just have Windows Movie Maker which should work for capturing my video?? Still working on the Camcorder use & settings, it has an aux. plug in for a mic so I picked up a unidirectional mic w/ 1/8" jack for better sound, got it at Radio Shack so I'll see if the built in mic is better. Haven't always had the best luck w/ Radio Shack equipment but sometimes they have stuff other places don't. I really appreciate all your support, that's what makes TG so great for me, feel like I have a whole team of support when I run into something new for me. Gary
Gary:

Yeah, just import it into Windows Movie Maker and then go from there. Makes it very easy. If you get stuck, just PM me or post a ??? in the techie group and I am sure one of us can get you u and running. Like you said, once you have done it a few times, it becomes very easy.....

AcousticAl

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi MJ & Gary,

This is offtopic for 'Composing'- but if your camera records to hard disk (which the FS200 does), then you shouldn't need the extra step of taking it to Moviemaker.

Let's continue this in the Techie Group..

rcsnydley

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:54 pm

willem wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:
We've touched on this in other threads, but I'm going to bring it up in this new composing category. That is the art of song writing.

I usually start with a simple chord progression that I like the sound of. I then just start singing what ever words come to mind, most are throw away, some live on, but the point is to develop a melody.

I used to then try to shape the melody to fit the chords that were in the key I was in. Now I let the melody suggest the chords whether they are in the original key or not. This technique makes for more interesting and yes, pleasing results.

Once the melody is pretty established I start working on the lyrics. Sometimes this comes from the lyrics I started back in the melody development phase and sometimes they are from a theme I wish to talk about. Remember the melody shouldn't be set in stone at this point as the "feel" of the lyrics should be allowed to further refine and shape it.

After the basic song is written comes the arranging, what instruments, vocals (lead, harmonies, when and where) even tempo, as sometimes the way it was originally written is not the way it ends up.

That's how I generally approach song writing. Please, share your techniques.

Ric
Oke Ric,one question,when you use a simple chord progression do you strum it or are you diong a fingerpicking, i prefer in first a fingerpicking,,,
Willem, I usually start everything as a strum (old habit), if the song ends up being a fingerpicking style that works it self out as it develops or sometimes even later than that.

Ric

rcsnydley

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Thanks Ric: I really wish I could figure this out. Someday I will get it, but for now, I will settle for transcription and learning to play better.

Writing a song would be so great.

MJ
MJ - the thing is is to just write. It doesn't matter if most of them are throw aways as you write you develop as a writer. So just write it no one has to hear it but you and eventually you will get to the point where you want people to hear them.

Ric

rcsnydley

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:02 pm

jim56 wrote:
Ric, Is knowledge of theory a good part of writing?
Jim - I don't believe it's required, but to me it certainly has helped. By knowing some theory I now know better what works and what might not and also where to start looking for chords that work with the melody.

Ric

haoli25

Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:26 am

tgsuzanne wrote:
I think there as many ways to write songs are there are musicians!! Yes, it does help to understand theory, but it isn't required. Developing your ear to hear intervals is a very useful skill when composing! I use music theory when I'm looking for a certain resolution to a progression or a direction for a line. Otherwise, most of my composing of pieces comes from improvising on the piano! I'll hear a chord progression and then once I play it over and feel like it is something that says something, eventually some sort of melody starts to grow out of it. Even though I'm a flute player I've only written a half dozen songs that started out as a melody.

A way to get a little leg up on writing either melodies or harmonies is to listen carefully to pieces of music you like and figure out what the composers have done to create a line, mood or harmony you like. See if you can figure out the chord progression, then experiment with that progression. Many melodies can "sound" over one chord progression, so you won't be stealing anyone's tune.

This is one of many ways I compose. Give it a try.

---Suzanne

Karma for you Suzanne. You are just what this Forum has needed.

Bill

:)

TGSuzanne

Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:15 pm

jim56 wrote:
Ric, Is knowledge of theory a good part of writing?
It can be. You will soon be able to "hear" in your head what chord progressions you want to hear, understanding theoretically where the chord is going (up/ down, is it minor to major or a half cadence?) will help you identify the chord and notes you want. When I compose I like to jam on an instrument and once I have a direction, I use I music theory to take me where I'd like to go. I often depend on theory to compose harmonies that don't sound like anyone else...for instance, chosing an alternate chord for my harmony as opposed to one any pop song might use. This is what makes your tune unique. Once you understand how to construct chords and how they change a melody, you can create many different harmonies to one melody. As a composer, I like to chose the less worn path!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic