Writing a Song

jjohnson63

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:29 pm

usually start with a simple chord progression that I like the sound of. I then just start singing what ever words come to mind
im a song writer and this fits right in there (what sounds good to you ) stay simple and to the point let it come out don't analyze and scrutinize just let it flow what is there is there and it's not all going to be number one hits but< who cares!!! what makes YOU jump and sing THATS WHATS IMPORTANT writing is about what YOU have to say and if others dont want to hear it then thats their problem you have to be comfortable with your self before you can tell others what you think

jjohnson63

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:44 pm

that is admitting defeat all song writing is is putting into word whats on your mind (mimicking) look at weird al yankoviche he doesn't seem, to have a problem stay true to your self and the rest will follow

aitch

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:17 pm

I'd like to offer two articles I wrote on lyric writing. They've been downloaded over 500,000 times and I've gotten extremely positive feedback. They are free.

http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/songw ... beginners/

and

http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/songw ... rmediates/

If linking to another guitar site is verboten, my apologies.

bigmo

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Great post Suzanne... thanks for your insights.

rcsnydley

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:05 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
jim56 wrote:
Ric, Is knowledge of theory a good part of writing?
It can be. You will soon be able to "hear" in your head what chord progressions you want to hear, understanding theoretically where the chord is going (up/ down, is it minor to major or a half cadence?) will help you identify the chord and notes you want. When I compose I like to jam on an instrument and once I have a direction, I use I music theory to take me where I'd like to go. I often depend on theory to compose harmonies that don't sound like anyone else...for instance, chosing an alternate chord for my harmony as opposed to one any pop song might use. This is what makes your tune unique. Once you understand how to construct chords and how they change a melody, you can create many different harmonies to one melody. As a composer, I like to chose the less worn path!
Good points Suzanne. I was showing some new songs I had written to a friend I used to write with. He was impressed with how far along my writing had progressed and asked how I did it. I told him I learned some theory and it opened up a lot more possibilities for me.

Suzanne has it dead on as far as I'm concerned, if you start with a musical direction or melodic idea, theory can help immensely in knowing where to go (like what chords to use) and also alternate or extended chords to make it more interesting.

goldleaf

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
goldleaf wrote:
Ric, sounds good to me. I would suggest we also consider instrumental songs as some of us don't sing at least on vid and maybe never will, but coming up with our own songs or tunes I think is a great idea. Actually I've been working on an instrumental song myself. If we had a place to post our own songs I probably would participate, as soon as I figure out how to use this new camcorder and transfer it to YouTube & TG. Gary.
Gary:

You could record it, post it to youtube, and then copy and paste it right into this thread, or a group if you wanted to. I was thinking it would be cool if someone posted a chord progression that they have come up with, so each of us could play our own melody to, or vise versa. With the addition of some electric stuff around here it opens up a whole new avenue to us.

MJ

Here is a contribution to a basic tune that could be added onto in many other ways. I think it would be awesome to have Suzanne play her flute at a lead to this basic chord sequence. I listened to recordings that Neil, Suzanne and a Bass Player did at one of their gig's. It's on TG. But she is busy & probably writing her own tunes but maybe another TG member would like to take "Founder" and add thier contribution to it. Gary
:)

Here is an original composition or tune as you suggested MJ for others to add onto & see what we can make of it. Gary

wadestar

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:44 pm

Writing a song comes from the soul if you will, could be a riff in the head or just a simple word pattern that clicks for the person.

julian

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:58 am

The Beatles (mostly John and Paul) would write songs by trying to imitate artists they loved. Sometimes John wanted to emulate Smokey Robinson.

For example(from Beatles Bible)

All I've Got To Do was started and completed in the same productive session that also saw the band begin recording I Wanna Be Your Man and Little Child.

Lennon was reportedly inspired by Smokey Robinson, and the opening chord and general lyrical theme recalls The Miracles' You Can Depend On Me.

Paul wrote "I'm Down" in a effort to sound like Little Richard.

Authors from the classical period such as Mozart and others did the same thing.

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:21 am

goldleaf wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
goldleaf wrote:
Ric, sounds good to me. I would suggest we also consider instrumental songs as some of us don't sing at least on vid and maybe never will, but coming up with our own songs or tunes I think is a great idea. Actually I've been working on an instrumental song myself. If we had a place to post our own songs I probably would participate, as soon as I figure out how to use this new camcorder and transfer it to YouTube & TG. Gary.
Gary:

You could record it, post it to youtube, and then copy and paste it right into this thread, or a group if you wanted to. I was thinking it would be cool if someone posted a chord progression that they have come up with, so each of us could play our own melody to, or vise versa. With the addition of some electric stuff around here it opens up a whole new avenue to us.

MJ

Here is a contribution to a basic tune that could be added onto in many other ways. I think it would be awesome to have Suzanne play her flute at a lead to this basic chord sequence. I listened to recordings that Neil, Suzanne and a Bass Player did at one of their gig's. It's on TG. But she is busy & probably writing her own tunes but maybe another TG member would like to take "Founder" and add thier contribution to it. Gary
:)

Here is an original composition or tune as you suggested MJ for others to add onto & see what we can make of it. Gary
Gary:

Missed this somehow! Sounds good! Thanks for sharing this. I will give it a deeper listen here shortly and see if anything pops into my head.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic