Writing a Song

rcsnydley

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:00 am

We've touched on this in other threads, but I'm going to bring it up in this new composing category. That is the art of song writing.

I usually start with a simple chord progression that I like the sound of. I then just start singing what ever words come to mind, most are throw away, some live on, but the point is to develop a melody.

I used to then try to shape the melody to fit the chords that were in the key I was in. Now I let the melody suggest the chords whether they are in the original key or not. This technique makes for more interesting and yes, pleasing results.

Once the melody is pretty established I start working on the lyrics. Sometimes this comes from the lyrics I started back in the melody development phase and sometimes they are from a theme I wish to talk about. Remember the melody shouldn't be set in stone at this point as the "feel" of the lyrics should be allowed to further refine and shape it.

After the basic song is written comes the arranging, what instruments, vocals (lead, harmonies, when and where) even tempo, as sometimes the way it was originally written is not the way it ends up.

That's how I generally approach song writing. Please, share your techniques.

Ric

Jimmer

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:01 pm

Ah, I WISH my talents were in this direction. I admire anyone who can write a nice sounding song. If I have any talent at all, it's in mimicry - I'll get CLOSE to the way it's supposed to sound...

As a lark, I have sometimes come up with alternate lyrics to a song if a particular funny phrase hits me, but to come up with the music and lyrics on my own? Not a chance...

> Jimmer

willem

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:36 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
We've touched on this in other threads, but I'm going to bring it up in this new composing category. That is the art of song writing.

I usually start with a simple chord progression that I like the sound of. I then just start singing what ever words come to mind, most are throw away, some live on, but the point is to develop a melody.

I used to then try to shape the melody to fit the chords that were in the key I was in. Now I let the melody suggest the chords whether they are in the original key or not. This technique makes for more interesting and yes, pleasing results.

Once the melody is pretty established I start working on the lyrics. Sometimes this comes from the lyrics I started back in the melody development phase and sometimes they are from a theme I wish to talk about. Remember the melody shouldn't be set in stone at this point as the "feel" of the lyrics should be allowed to further refine and shape it.

After the basic song is written comes the arranging, what instruments, vocals (lead, harmonies, when and where) even tempo, as sometimes the way it was originally written is not the way it ends up.

That's how I generally approach song writing. Please, share your techniques.

Ric
Oke Ric,one question,when you use a simple chord progression do you strum it or are you diong a fingerpicking, i prefer in first a fingerpicking,,,

Music Junkie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks Ric: I really wish I could figure this out. Someday I will get it, but for now, I will settle for transcription and learning to play better.

Writing a song would be so great.

MJ

goldleaf

Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Ric, sounds good to me. I would suggest we also consider instrumental songs as some of us don't sing at least on vid and maybe never will, but coming up with our own songs or tunes I think is a great idea. Actually I've been working on an instrumental song myself. If we had a place to post our own songs I probably would participate, as soon as I figure out how to use this new camcorder and transfer it to YouTube & TG. Gary.

Here is a song that I developed using a lot of the advice that Neil, Suzanne and several TG'ers have suggested. I hope to use Audacity and add another track to it and possibly a few more changes. Gary

Music Junkie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:19 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Ric, sounds good to me. I would suggest we also consider instrumental songs as some of us don't sing at least on vid and maybe never will, but coming up with our own songs or tunes I think is a great idea. Actually I've been working on an instrumental song myself. If we had a place to post our own songs I probably would participate, as soon as I figure out how to use this new camcorder and transfer it to YouTube & TG. Gary.
Gary:

You could record it, post it to youtube, and then copy and paste it right into this thread, or a group if you wanted to. I was thinking it would be cool if someone posted a chord progression that they have come up with, so each of us could play our own melody to, or vise versa. With the addition of some electric stuff around here it opens up a whole new avenue to us.

MJ

:)

Music Junkie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:24 pm

goldleaf wrote:
as soon as I figure out how to use this new camcorder and transfer it to YouTube & TG. Gary.
Gary, forgot to ask what kind of camcorder you are using. Is it a hard disk type, or a CD type? Either way, once you record, you just need to: 1: connect you camcorder to your computer via a USB cable (if you have the hard disk type). or 2. place the disk from your camcorder into your computer. From there, you should have a file of type .avi, .wmv, .mpg, .mpeg, .mov ,etc. depending on your camcorder or your recording settings. You can directly upload most of those files to youtube. If you need to convert it to another format, I have links to some great freeware to do those conversions for you (very simple programs too). Anyway, if I can help out in any way, don't hesitate to ask....

Cheers!

MJ

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Gary, as I understand it we can use the Youtube channel for TG TARGET students and post in the thread for TARGET students review for feedback. That's what I did and received tons of feedback and helpful comments.

As to song writing: For me it's more like doodling with the guitar making up sounds or chord progressions or a melody. Not bothered how it happens, it's improvisation and I just follow what comes rather than looking to force or find something. Usually it's a chord progression that produces something interesting. Then a melody will grow out of it. Lyrics can be added as something that is inspired by the music or come out of a notebook of ideas or lines already jotted down. I've used strumming and picking to make up a melody. It's not really important how you do it. What you come up with counts. If it works use it. If it doesn't go anywhere then just move on, there's no planned route for me, usually. You may be surprise what turns up. MJ, I'm sure you can do this too. Why not?

jim56

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Ric, Is knowledge of theory a good part of writing?

goldleaf

Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
goldleaf wrote:
as soon as I figure out how to use this new camcorder and transfer it to YouTube & TG. Gary.
Gary, forgot to ask what kind of camcorder you are using. Is it a hard disk type, or a CD type? Either way, once you record, you just need to: 1: connect you camcorder to your computer via a USB cable (if you have the hard disk type). or 2. place the disk from your camcorder into your computer. From there, you should have a file of type .avi, .wmv, .mpg, .mpeg, .mov ,etc. depending on your camcorder or your recording settings. You can directly upload most of those files to youtube. If you need to convert it to another format, I have links to some great freeware to do those conversions for you (very simple programs too). Anyway, if I can help out in any way, don't hesitate to ask....

Cheers!

MJ
I have a Canon FS200 w/ a 4gb SDHC card, but I'd probably use the USB connector to transfer my video to my computer. That what I was thinking, hope it works out OK, it's my first time so I might take the offers for assistance with making sure I've got it set to the right type of file. After I do it a few times hopefully it should be easier, like most things I do with the computer ( for me) I'm a little slow but I usually find out I make it harder than it is. I PM'd Al and he sent me to the "Group" Tech Support etc' where it has the address to transfer your video from your computer to YouTube, so I just have Windows Movie Maker which should work for capturing my video?? Still working on the Camcorder use & settings, it has an aux. plug in for a mic so I picked up a unidirectional mic w/ 1/8" jack for better sound, got it at Radio Shack so I'll see if the built in mic is better. Haven't always had the best luck w/ Radio Shack equipment but sometimes they have stuff other places don't. I really appreciate all your support, that's what makes TG so great for me, feel like I have a whole team of support when I run into something new for me. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic