Improv

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:35 am

Everything I do on the guitar is by ear.

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:40 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Everything I do on the guitar is by ear.
Hm interesting I use my fingers mostly.... Now we have to see a vid of you playing Classical gas with your ears!

jayswett

Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Catman wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
...i usually look for the key and noodle around the pentatonic patterns...
Same here
I don't do any improvisation (I'd like to change that situation), so I can't really make any comment other than to say that what Chas describes is my understanding as to how things should be done. I also have a vague notion that when noodling around on the pentatonic scale and the rythym guitarist changes to a new chord, the lead guitarist should simultaneously hit the note that corresponds with the new chord.

pigpenz

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:09 pm

I like to take a simple campfire editon song that Neil does and see what I can do by playing it somewhere else on the neck or by adding the melody notes to the chords when playing it...this helps in reverse also when picking out a melody then trying to decide what chords to play.

what is amazing is what someone like John Fogerty does takes some simple chords and then adds synchopation and strumming and gets something entirely different.

professor bob

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Since I joined TG, my playing has changed. I used to fool around and try to write new material but since deciding to get more serious I had to listen to what others told me. I discovered I was using the wrong fingering for a G chord, and other critical comments such as I could use some time using a metronome. This was a setback as I did not play the guitar for fun anymore and it became work. I went to work on Hotel California, which is a very long song if not played very fast. I like a lot of things including photography so I guess this shows an improvisation of how I think some people might like this tune.

Once at you tube, you may wish to look at some other videos I posted. They are at the top left side of the little screen.[video]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxjyWhRVgUE[/video]

AndyT

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:24 am

I use scales to do my improv with. Normally I get together with a friend and we take turns playing the rhythm and lead. we come up with all kinds of things we've heard before in songs and on occasion, we find something we haven't heard before.

Bob, Just make sure you spend time having fun with it no matter right or wrong.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic