Improv

TGSuzanne

Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:56 pm

How you do decide what to play when you are improvising a solo?

rcsnydley

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Whatever feels and sounds good.

Ric

goldleaf

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:07 pm

At this point in time, I would have to use the electric guitar and & play loud w/ variable sounds from my amplifier & start with some music like Purple Haze and just keep creating from there. The acoustic requires a lot more knowledge and awareness of how the scales and keys etc interact and TG is just beginning to venture into this area from what I see. Most of what I am learning is from watching Neil explain how to play the left hand then the right hand, he plays the song through first, & explaines some of the theory then he practices the song slowed down then a little faster. I haven't quite got to the point of improvising a solo yet although I'd like to. Gary

AndyT

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Just make it up as I go along.

BigBear

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:07 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
How you do decide what to play when you are improvising a solo?

You start with the scale patterns for the key the song is in and go with feel from there. It helps to have a pocketful of riffs, vamps and runs to use. :cheer:

TGSuzanne

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Do most of you play by ear, or do you work out a solo using your knowledge of chords and scales?

BigBear

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:16 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
Do most of you play by ear, or do you work out a solo using your knowledge of chords and scales?

I'm no great lead guitarist but I try to start out with the melody and build on that but higher on the fretboard so I get some sonic seperation from the song. I use the scale patterns and work off of those. :cheer:

tovo

Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:26 am

BigBear wrote:
tgsuzanne wrote:

I'm no great lead guitarist but I try to start out with the melody and build on that but higher on the fretboard so I get some sonic seperation from the song. I use the scale patterns and work off of those. :cheer:
I *try* to do the same, but I'm still so rough at it its a stretch to say I can lead at all. Still, to elaborate a bit: if the song's key is 'G', the easiest thing is to try to stick to noodling around on the G-pentatonic scale, and throw in a major scale note when it 'feels' right.

When I practice more or get more familiar with a song, then I try to get more deliberate: for a lead 'phrase', I'll try to end a given phrase on a note that's in the arpeggio of the chord that the song is on at the same time. For example, for a 'typical' bluegrass I-V-IV verse in 'G', I'll try to end a lead over this verse on a note that's in the C-chord.

Also, another thing I try: if a chord hangs for at least a full measure (or, more likely 2 at least), I'll try to lead over that chord by using that chords pentatonic scale while avoiding any notes that aren't in the song's root's scale.

I hope that makes sense. :blink: I'd love to hear more ideas and any other techniques, Suzanne.

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:44 am

tgsuzanne wrote:
I don't try lead as often as i should but when I do i usually look for the key and noodle around the pentatonic patterns and add in the Blues notes , cos generally its blues i'm jamming too. Not done much with acoustic leads really.

Catman

Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:56 am

Chasplaya wrote:
...i usually look for the key and noodle around the pentatonic patterns...
Same here

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic