Jamming with a group

TGSuzanne

Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:57 pm

What type of jamming do you do when playing with a group? Free form, everyone play at once? Exchanging 4's or 8's? Each one gets a "solo"?

rcsnydley

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:02 pm

suzanne - when my friends and I get together to jam it is sort of semi-structured free form. We play some old songs we've always played. We play some new ones that one or more of us has learned and brought in. Sometimes we actually discuss who should play what and sometimes we just let it happen as it happens.

We all have our strong points so we generally play to those strong points, but reaching out and trying other things is also strongly encouraged.

Ric

TGSuzanne

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:20 pm

Ya, whenever I've jammed, it has been pretty free-form. I'm curious if groups have a chord structure in mind or they let "things happen". I'm a professionally trained musician and played with the same, so often we all agreed on some structure to the chords. Sounds like you do the same..

Letting things happen is a great way to compose as a group, as long as someone keeps track of what was going on when something awesome transpired. ;)

AndyT

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:04 pm

Normally what we do is everyone follow the guy who knows the song best. LOL

BigBear

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:13 pm

I usually jam with guys from work so prior to the jam session everyone in the company, who wants to attend, suggests some songs they'd like to here and we go from there. But that breaks down quickly when someone says "Do you guys know any ....?" Then whoever knows the song takes control.

Our problem is we have a former professional guitar player who is like Neil and remembers almost every song ever written so we usually just have to follow him as blazes away. Pretty intimidating but I always learn from him. :cheer:

haoli25

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:18 pm

I just follow the drummer so I am usually playing something different from everyone else. Is that free-form? :laugh:

Guitarmom

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Color me BLUEGRASS JAMMIN'

songman52

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Same here Andy. Then someone says, hey, can't sing it in that key!
Haoli, what's a drummer???

Chasplaya

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:12 am

songman52 wrote:
Same here Andy. Then someone says, hey, can't sing it in that key!
Haoli, what's a drummer???
What's the definition of a drummer?' Answer : A guy who hangs around with musicians ...

To answer the question when jammin with friends we all usually bring along a song or two each and whoever brings the particular song along generally takes the lead.

mbleier

Tue May 04, 2010 3:32 pm

I have just started (we've only gotten together a couple of times) jamming with a couple of guys. We generally go around and each bring a song to the table. Me and one of the other guys are new to playing leads especially something that is improvised. It is a supportive environment, but it is still intimidating to take on a lead on the fly. I guess maybe this should be its own thread but was wondering if people had tips of ways to get their lead skills up and off the ground?

Thanks,
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic