Finding chords in a key

willem

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:44 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
Do you know which chords are major in a given key? How about minor? Which one is diminished? Do you know why?
HI Susanne, i know which chords are maj,minor and dim, but want to know why, is it because do-re-mi-fa-so-la-si....do?? tell me(us)..

jayswett

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Her credentials are impeccable. I can't wait to get a start on the music theory aspect of guitar playing. The conversation that goldleaf and others were having above might as well have been in Latin. That's how green I am. I do have a book that was recommended to me, so I hope to finish reading that in order to understand a bit better what Suzanne has to teach in futue posts/lessons. It would be alot to ask of her or anyone for that matter to teach me music theory from scratch, so I will do some homework first.

eagle670

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:02 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
Do you know which chords are major in a given key? How about minor? Which one is diminished? Do you know why?

Hi Suzanne - great to have you here at TG. If you have'nt done it already you might want to check out the thread "A Theory Question", I think that it would give you a good feel for what alot of us are looking for. We had some real good discussions on the topic and the majority of us are just looking for a starting point and what areas are actually beneficial for us guitarists. Maybe a video is in order, like what Ajay did, where you can introduce yourself and give us your thoughts on areas of theory that we need to know.

Kevin

TGSuzanne

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:42 pm

I'm not ignoring anyone's questions! I have only limited amounts of time to respond. I'm a very busy professor of music technology. I wish there were some way I could see when someone has written something I need to pay attention to. I'm still finding my way around the site.

TGSuzanne

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:47 pm

reiver wrote:
tgsuzanne wrote:
Thanks.....I know all this, I'm fishing to see where people need help.

Well there's 15 minutes of my life that I'm not getting back.

Can I point out that if you ask a question worded in this way you'll only get replies from people who can answer it, even if (in my case)they can't express it very well. :huh:

r

Then probably I should continue to answer questions as I find them rather than make up posts as the TG guys asked me to do! :P

AndyT

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:50 pm

If you keep all your teaching in the Theory group, then that's the only place you will have to look for new questions.

Look here:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... ar+Players

reiver

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:55 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
reiver wrote:
tgsuzanne wrote:
Thanks.....I know all this, I'm fishing to see where people need help.

Well there's 15 minutes of my life that I'm not getting back.

Can I point out that if you ask a question worded in this way you'll only get replies from people who can answer it, even if (in my case)they can't express it very well. :huh:

r

Then probably I should continue to answer questions as I find them rather than make up posts as the TG guys asked me to do! :P

Maybe I should apologise for that. I was a bit cranky last night and genuinely thought that I was helping some one out rather than helping you find your feet. It's the Celtic blood - very low boiling point.

But welcome to the site. I'm looking forward to finding out what on earth a Professor of Music Technology actually does! :huh:

r

TGSuzanne

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Suzanne, I could use a very basic explanation of where to start with learning music theory. The reason I have been progressing with TG is because I didn't have to know the type of information you are asking. I would like to know it but I would need to see how it all ties in to playing songs on the guitar and improving from where I am using the TG format or maybe a seperate forum that takes us through some basics so we can follow along. Gary
Hi Goldleaf:

I'm putting together a few little practice routines that I will post in the next few days. I will post a one in each category. First I will say that you don't *need* to know theory to play guitar, or any instrument for that matter. Theory comes in handy when you want to be more creative, or find different ways to voice chords or play a run. If your desire to play guitar chords and sing songs, or learn your favorite tune by watching one of Neil's videos, then theory won't necessarily make that harder or easier. However, that said I wander around the guitar, Celtic, harp, various string instruments and keyboard-type instruments and can play them passably well mainly because I understand music and music theory. Music theory is a concept that will allow you to have command music in general. Many times I've found chords and little fill runs on the guitar minly because I knew what I wanted to hear and understood the layout of a guitar and how the whole tones and half tones are made. From there I could name the notes I was playing, build a scale or a chord that I wanted just by having the knowledge of music and theory. I've had very little guitar training at all. I can also ready music on guitar much faster than I can read tab. Anyway, I'll start to post some drills when I get some time. ;)

TGSuzanne

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Bear, thanks for the explanation and the other info. I will follow up with what you sent me. I read the whole post and was feeling less disappointed, then I saw it was not from Suzanne, I sincerely appreciate the info from you but I kinda hoped I would have not been ignored by Suzanne. I have to assume she did not feel my questions were good ones! Your friend, Gary

I couldn't find your questions....

I hope you'll send again.

basprelli

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:02 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
What do you have a question about? How to build a chord from a scale tone?
Suzanne, exactly, that is what I have been wondering for a very long time, and even when I asked that question, no one, I mean no one could tell me how to do that... I will be seriously impressed if you could explain this and possibly give me an example of this somehow.

Thanks,

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic