Finding chords in a key

TGSuzanne

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:23 pm

No, no tests....I have to grade 300+ of them a week for the college. I'm merely trying to see what kind of questions people may have....

TGSuzanne

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:24 pm

YOu passed! An A is yours....

AndyT

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Suzanne,
How about starting us off at the beginning. A couple of us know a lot, a few more know some and most of us know nothing. You giving us a starting point to work on and just as importantly, why that is the starting point, will get us all going.

goldleaf

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:15 pm

Suzanne, I could use a very basic explanation of where to start with learning music theory. The reason I have been progressing with TG is because I didn't have to know the type of information you are asking. I would like to know it but I would need to see how it all ties in to playing songs on the guitar and improving from where I am using the TG format or maybe a seperate forum that takes us through some basics so we can follow along. Gary

__m__

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:37 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
Thanks.....I know all this, I'm fishing to see where people need help.
Great. Now I feel like an ass for posting on your scales thread. Should have read your profile before opening mouth (slaps himself in the face).

goldleaf

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:45 pm

M, I thought you gave a great answer, I learned a lot. Gary

reiver

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:46 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
Thanks.....I know all this, I'm fishing to see where people need help.

Well there's 15 minutes of my life that I'm not getting back.

Can I point out that if you ask a question worded in this way you'll only get replies from people who can answer it, even if (in my case)they can't express it very well. :huh:

r

BigBear

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:49 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
YOu passed! An A is yours....

Ric has always been Teacher's Pet when it comes to theory!! LOL! It's because he was a keyboard player in another life!! :cheer:

BigBear

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Suzanne how do you determine what "key" you are in and what influence does a chord have if it is major or minor or diminished?? I'm sorry but you asked and if you are offering to explain I would be interested in knowing how your question applies to learning songs like I am on TG. Is it mainly for reading music. I hate to show my ignorance -- well maybe not-- but I would like to understand the importance of the type of question you have asked. I know it is important because everyone who is knowledgable in music says it is but I couldn't explain why to anybody else. Could you explain it to me so I could understand well enough to explain to another person?? Thank you very much and I am probably a good example of why the knowledge you bring to TG is important. Gary

Hey Gary- good questions all. You have to know what key you are in if you ever want to improvise or play lead guitar. If you are just playing chords in a song you don't need to know the key but if you want progress past basic chords or want to add or change chords or even transpose, either manually or with a capo, you need to know.

Also, knowing the key is almost mandatory if you ever jam with other players.

If I can suggest a "training aid" learning the Circle of Fifths is a relatively easy way to learn where chords come from in a key plus a bunch of other good info. Here is a pretty good explanation although it is more technical than it needs to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths

Scroll down to "In Lay Terms" for a non-Greek explanation!!

Cheers! :cheer:

goldleaf

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 pm

Bear, thanks for the explanation and the other info. I will follow up with what you sent me. I read the whole post and was feeling less disappointed, then I saw it was not from Suzanne, I sincerely appreciate the info from you but I kinda hoped I would have not been ignored by Suzanne. I have to assume she did not feel my questions were good ones! Your friend, Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic