Finding chords in a key

AndyT

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:50 pm

goldleaf wrote:
I have to assume she did not feel my questions were good ones! Your friend, Gary
I think you should not assume that. Suzanne is fishing to see what we do know and what we need to learn. By posting your question you are giving her important info to help us out. Plus you know that its hard to keep uip on the forums all the time. She may not have had time to get back to it yet.

goldleaf

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14 pm

You are right. I think her first attempt to pass on some of her knowledge was not thought out very well. I'm sure that the next attempt will be better. Gary

songman52

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:45 pm

I agree, Andy. I think we are all over the board as to theory, mine being very limited. Nashville numbering and not too much beyond. So some discussion of theory is useful, though I quickly get bogged down (and start playing songs instead. Bad habit.)
Hey Gary, Dire Straits or referring to TG members as a whole? Both I suspect.

goldleaf

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Songman, Mark K. & Dire Straits, he is awesome plus I thought it fit well with TG & all the members, you are right, both although "Brothers" is gender neutral & the song really has a lot of soul & feeling IMHO. Do you like Dire Straits. Gary

mattroutley

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:22 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought it was notes 1,3 and 5 in a major scale to make a major chord? Then you can add the 7th note in the scale to make a chord into a 7th...

Matt

mattroutley

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:22 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought it was notes 1,3 and 5 in a major scale to make a major chord? Then you can add the 7th note in the scale to make a chord into a 7th...

Matt

reiver

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Matt

I believe that you are correct about the major chord (root III V).

However, to make the major into a 7th, I thnk that you add a flattened 7th note.

r

carpet

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:08 pm

reiver wrote:
Matt

I believe that you are correct about the major chord (root III V).

However, to make the major into a 7th, I thnk that you add a flattened 7th note.

r
Agreed -- the standard 7th chord uses the flatted 7th degree. Its also called a "dominant 7th" chord. If you instead add the 7th degree from the major scale, its called a "major 7th" chord.

mattroutley

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:33 pm

ok cool, thanks guys i didn't know that about 7ths either.

the topic of chord construction was one i was going to ask the TG guys for some videos on. I don't have a clue about diminished chords or sus chords etc :S

TGMatt

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Just jumping in here..

Suzanne is still feeling her way in here..so please be gentle..she has no experience on posting to a rabidly hungry bunch of folk on a forum, I simply asked here to start a conversation which she has..

I want to point out a couple of things..

A- She knows her stuff...she just doesnt really know where to start ...so If you have a question then ask...thats a great launching point

B- She is incredibly busy, and her ability to jump in here is sometimes limited, so if you do not hear a response in your time frame..remember its your time frame...I am sure it will come..

C-This will take some time to get some flow and for her to feel comfortable...please help that process, be kind, and help her get her feet...

We are blessed to have her here..Im sure you will get some incredible value over time as a result no matter what your level of knowledge..

Thanks for listening

Cheers

matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic