Scales

__m__

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:53 pm

I do practice scales on a regular basis. Usually in the form of a warm-up before really playing. Although, this probably comes from being in band for all those years where we ALWAYS started off the class with the C-Major scales and then a series of arpeggios. So, for me, it's the same concept. Training your hands to the fingerings on a guitar as the same one would any instrument. Now, other instruments, as in the flute, aren't capable of multiple notes at once (i.e. chord), but takes multiple fingers (and sometimes multiple hands) to produce that one note. Concept of muscle memory, for me, is the same.

Where is it used in the guitar world? For rhythm guitar I'd say only that which was mentioned above, with probably some exceptions I'm not aware of. For electric guitar it is more important as much of electric guitar is in the form of lead melodies and solos that utilize much of single notes. You know those crazy awesome guitar solos in a lot of classic rock songs? A lot of those are composed from scales.

My 2 cents.

goldleaf

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:54 pm

reiver wrote:
I've been playing guitar for over thirty years - and in that time I must have practised scales for about 20 minutes. I think that I suffer from a mild form of musical attention deficit disorder. I get really bored practicing that stuff - and since I only play acoustic rhythm guitar I don't feel that I've missed out.

Revier, I've played for that long also but when Neil showed the notes in the key of one of the songs so we can play a lead it was very helpful, but without someone like Neil to show the notes in the scale and play background while I practice I don't really get the value of practicing the scales if we are not going to have an opportunity to put that practice to use. I do feel I've missed out, but it is my own lack of pursuing music in a more formal way. I enjoy learning from TG and would like to learn more about scales but I would need a reason to and an opportunity to put my practice to use. Gary

r

AndyT

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Scales? you mean we have to figure out how much a song weighs? And here I thought we just played the thing. LOL
I've done maybe 3 or 4 minutes worth of scales my whole life.

BigBear

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:43 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
How do you chose your notes when you improvise on a tune....or do you just play chords on the guitar?
Hi Suzanne! I start most practice sessions with selecting a key and playing the scale patterns in all five positions on the fretboard.

When I improvise I pretty well stick to the scale pattern but I'm trying to move up and down the neck to create some interest. For example, playing a scale in the third position for a whole song is pretty boring!

For me the challenge is to not see the fretboard as five sepeate scales but as one long scale completely interconnected. :cheer:

BigBear

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Anyone know how to to delete a post? The system doubled my up again! :angry:

songman52

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Same as Reiver, but I'm trying to learn now because I'd like to add at least SOME lead playing. I could really use some guidance on which to start with and how to proceed, Suzanne.
Andy, there's something fishy about your reply, but what do fish have to do with music unless you're talking about a "tuna". Sorry. Slap me.

Chasplaya

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:16 am

I practice scales from time to time, if in a bluesy mood I play around and try to make up cool sounds, which I never remember. Similar to the Ajay lesson on Pentatonic C jam.

galsteien

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:10 am

im very much the most jnr person on this site with regard to skills as the only song i can currently play (properly) is the "ode to joy" ;)

As far as scales go and my exp and 2 cents, im willing to bet that many of those "brilliant" guitarists spoken about on another thread all played/still do play scales

Its the building block on which every thing else is built, if u draw for a living but
never learn about perspective and vanishing points and composition u will never become
fantastic, the basic building blocks in any craft are there for a reason

My own personal exp, since practicing Neils "notes in 1st position" and varios other
scales and arpeggios i can see a VAST improvement in my abilities, im able to put a finger on the right note in the right place and at the right time

So as for me, ill be doing every day for as long as i play , besides , what a better way to loosen up the fingers b4 playing, atheletes stretch so why not guitarists?, play a scale twice and ull be ready to rock

willem

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:57 am

BigBear wrote:
tgsuzanne wrote:
How do you chose your notes when you improvise on a tune....or do you just play chords on the guitar?
Hi Suzanne! I start most practice sessions with selecting a key and playing the scale patterns in all five positions on the fretboard.

When I improvise I pretty well stick to the scale pattern but I'm trying to move up and down the neck to create some interest. For example, playing a scale in the third position for a whole song is pretty boring!

For me the challenge is to not see the fretboard as five sepeate scales but as one long scale completely interconnected. :cheer:
Thats one for going on the road, i wanna learn that, lets start with de key OF Cmaj... all over the road(fretboard)

rcsnydley

Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 am

galsteien wrote:
As far as scales go and my exp and 2 cents, im willing to bet that many of those "brilliant" guitarists spoken about on another thread all played/still do play scales

Its the building block on which every thing else is built, if u draw for a living but
never learn about perspective and vanishing points and composition u will never become
fantastic, the basic building blocks in any craft are there for a reason
Galsteien - your are right, every article I've read about an accomplished guitarist they all cite scale work as part of their warm-up routine.

Also, beside using scales as the building blocks for leads/solos knowing them can help develop your chord/melody playing and also be used to come up with great fills in between chords.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic