How to build a Major scale

TGSuzanne

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Here is a little beginner drill, more advanced players can do this in some position otehr than the first position on the guitar.

A whole step on the guitar is two frets and a half step is one fret.

Scales(all of them) are made up of whole and half steps (so are intervals...but we'll get to that later..) If you use a specific arrangement of whole and half steps you will create a type of scale or mode.

Here is the pattern for building a major ( or Ionian mode) scale.

Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half

Now giving them names:

Say you start on the lowest note of your guitar (assuming you are in traditional tuning)
the Scale tones would be these...

E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E

This is the E Major scale. If you start on any other note and follow the same pattern, you will get a major scale the name of which will be whatever the starting note is.

Once you can do this from any note on your instrument in the first position (I think you call it that....I'm self-taught in violin, cello and guitar so my terminology might be different) then you are ready to start finding the chords within that key.

Next helpful hint will be how to find some of these chords and a talk about the circle of fifths......

Hope this helps
moh later......

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:10 pm

Suzanne:

Good info to start with. When I first started to tackle theory, I was given an exercise to write out all of the major scales (making sure to use each letter only once - which is why some scales are considered flats and other are considered sharps). Once I had them all written out correctly, I then had to take the 1st, 3rd and 5th of each scale to construct the chords of that scale. That is what really helped in understanding why the qualities are what they are (maj/min/dim). From there I then had to add the 7ths and determine the qualities. It was fun, and it really seemed to stick with me.

I started to write out all of the regular minor scales as well, but got sidetracked. Something started to confuse me though. If you write out pentatonic or blues scales, how does that effect the chord construction, and does it give crazy chords or normal chords? (off based question??????)

MJ Image

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Great stuff Suzanne, this is the kinda thing I reckon members are looking for. Look forward to your discusion on the Circle of Fifths, that is something I took an age to understand, still not 100% sure either lol

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Great stuff Suzanne, this is the kinda thing I reckon members are looking for. Look forward to your discusion on the Circle of Fifths, that is something I took an age to understand, still not 100% sure either lol
Chas:

I am really interested in the Circle of Fifths as well. I understand what it looks like, and how it is made up as far as fifths as you go clockwise and fourths as you go counterclockwise, but I have no clue what to do with it or why it is so important. I would love to finally understand it's place and use.....

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:27 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Chas:

I am really interested in the Circle of Fifths as well. I understand what it looks like, and how it is made up as far as fifths as you go clockwise and fourths as you go counterclockwise, but I have no clue what to do with it or why it is so important. I would love to finally understand it's place and use.....
I hear ya MJ, understanding is one thing but applying that is another

willem

Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Oke there's the beginning of the words we all must understand when we talk to each/other,,i go drilling myself and looking forwards to find the chords, i presume you gonna tell(us). thanks....

but on guitar!!!!

with friendly greetings,...... Image

RicksPick

Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:20 pm

Cool thanks Suzanne

Now I understand
Cos b4 thought It must rotate somehow which confused me.

RicksPick

rcsnydley

Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:34 pm

I hate to be the dissenting voice here, but this material has been covered more than once in pretty much the same format, in the forum and more than one place on this site.

If people didn't get it the first five time around why is repeating it again going to make any difference? What we need need is to "see" it shown on the guitar. Use a white board or music notation software to visually cover the theory and then show it on the guitar.

The reason this site is so successful is the visual aspect of it, lets apply that here.
Thanks.

Ric

willem

Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:42 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
I hate to be the dissenting voice here, but this material has been covered more than once in pretty much the same format, in the forum and more than one place on this site.

If people didn't get it the first five time around why is repeating it again going to make any difference? What we need need is to "see" it shown on the guitar. Use a white board or music notation software to visually cover the theory and then show it on the guitar.

The reason this site is so successful is the visual aspect of it, lets apply that here.
Thanks.

Ric
yeah, an digitaal fretboard that's a good one!!!! if i understand it??

TGMatt

Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:43 pm

I can say that their are several reasons...

1- repetition is the mother of skill...

2-The way this was described has clearly helped some folk and thats all that counts if it doesn't help you move on..let others make their own judgements.

3- Suzanne is a different voice and so brings a different angle and consequently may communicate the message in a way that suddenly some people understand as a result

4- Video stuff is being created and is being added..all the time..this is a different dimension

And finally - this --- Suzanne has spent her own time to post this information to help...being anything but complimentary is not condusive to helping her desire to contribute...if it is not for you as I said earlier move along

Thx for listening

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic