How to build a Major scale

Music Junkie

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:17 pm

mattroutley wrote:
i would need an explaination of chord inversions but i think that is enough for me tonight!!

Thankyou for the quick replies though - i've learnt more from this forum in a week than i have in my entire time teaching myself to play!!

Matt
To simplify chord inversions, they are still the same three notes making up the chord. But instead of using the Root (1st) or Tonic note in the bass, you use either the 3rd or the 5th in the bass. The 3rd in the bass would be a 1st inversion (cause it is the first note in the chord after the root) and the 5th would be a 2nd inversion.....hope that makes sense.

Don't get too caught up in inversions yet if they confuse you a bit. It will become much clearer as you start to grasp the basic of chord construction more and more. I am comfortable with them for the most part now. It is the extended chords that give me fits. Sometimes you can have a chord that does not even contain the tonic or root in it......now that has bothered me for a long time.....kind of unsettling for my engineering brain...lol

:woohoo:

wiley

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:46 pm

Music Junkie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:48 pm

Wiley:

Looks right to me. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic