Hear Hear Matt.

In Education there are Laws around which training should be delivered:

READINESS
REPETITION
RECENCY
PRIMACY
EFFECT
INTENSITY

I find in adults, Repetition is one of the most important, but not done in such a way as to look repetitive, this is reinforcement.

rcsnydley

Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:14 pm

I knew I was going to get hammered for that, but I had to voice my opinion, which hasn't changed by the way.

Oh well, onward we go.

Ric

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Ric,

Its quite understandable if you're not conversant with adult learning, those people who 'get it' quicker, generally don't 'get it' why others don't, this is a great part of the teaching challenge makes my job interesting. If interested lookout for books by Malcom Knowles, considered to be 'The' guru on adult Ed! Not light reading but very interesting.

AndyT

Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:54 pm

Think of learning a subject like putting together a puzzle. You are given lots of little pieces and you have to fit them together. If you don't get all the pieces or you misunderstand one of them then everything attached to that piece later on will not fit. It will not be possible to understand how it fits into the overall picture of the puzzle. You have to stop and go back to find the piece you inserted incorrectly and correct it. After that the part you were having trouble with should drop right into place. That's where we get those 'AHA!' moments. After that, it becomes rather simple.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:34 pm

For anyone interested the ways we learn are grouped broadly as follows:

ASSOCIATION:- Occur together, habit forming (conditioning) Certain response results from the presentation of selected stimuli. E.g. Traffic Light going red we know to stop.

INSIGHT:- Previously learnt transferred to new situation. Framework which new ideas are related and attached. This is what Andy alludes to in previous post

EXPERIENCE:- All learning stems from experience. Instructors provide meaningful, varied and appropriate experience. It is more than just exposure (I.e. go with him he has been in the job 20yrs) A student must become actively involved in the learning setting and the activity must be appropriate to the material and student.

TRANSFER:- similar to Insight learning inasmuch that previous learning may influence the student. Positive Transfer occurs if learning skill A helps skill B e.g. drives a type of Patrol car aids in driving a different one. However, care needs to be taken to avoid Negative Transfer when skill A hinders or impedes skill B. E.g. UK Cops tactical options quite different to NZ Tactical Options, road codes in differnt countries are different etc.

Music Junkie

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:41 pm

Everybody learns differently and repetition is not a bad thing. Let's see where it goes..... I for one have read countless pieces on the Circle of Fifths, and still don't get the big deal about it. It is useful for learning keys and signatures as well as understanding musical distances, but as far as a really solid application of it...... :huh:

mattroutley

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:54 am

tgsuzanne wrote:
Here is a little beginner drill, more advanced players can do this in some position otehr than the first position on the guitar.

A whole step on the guitar is two frets and a half step is one fret.

Scales(all of them) are made up of whole and half steps (so are intervals...but we'll get to that later..) If you use a specific arrangement of whole and half steps you will create a type of scale or mode.

Here is the pattern for building a major ( or Ionian mode) scale.

Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half

Now giving them names:

Say you start on the lowest note of your guitar (assuming you are in traditional tuning)
the Scale tones would be these...

E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E

This is the E Major scale. If you start on any other note and follow the same pattern, you will get a major scale the name of which will be whatever the starting note is.

Once you can do this from any note on your instrument in the first position (I think you call it that....I'm self-taught in violin, cello and guitar so my terminology might be different) then you are ready to start finding the chords within that key.

Next helpful hint will be how to find some of these chords and a talk about the circle of fifths......

Hope this helps
moh later......
thanks Susanne, that helps me a lot. I have quite a few questions on chord construction from scales so I'm looking forward to the next part :)

Matt

rcsnydley

Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:25 pm

mattroutley wrote:
I have quite a few questions on chord construction from scales so I'm looking forward to the next part :)

Matt
Ask away, Matt. Perhaps we can answer some of your questions.

Ric

TGSuzanne

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Suzanne:

Good info to start with. When I first started to tackle theory, I was given an exercise to write out all of the major scales (making sure to use each letter only once - which is why some scales are considered flats and other are considered sharps). Once I had them all written out correctly, I then had to take the 1st, 3rd and 5th of each scale to construct the chords of that scale. That is what really helped in understanding why the qualities are what they are (maj/min/dim). From there I then had to add the 7ths and determine the qualities. It was fun, and it really seemed to stick with me.

I started to write out all of the regular minor scales as well, but got sidetracked. Something started to confuse me though. If you write out pentatonic or blues scales, how does that effect the chord construction, and does it give crazy chords or normal chords? (off based question??????)

MJ Image
I'll help you with the forms for minor, pentatonic and blues scales later....

s

TGSuzanne

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic