How to build a Major scale

TGSuzanne

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:56 pm

And finally - this --- Suzanne has spent her own time to post this information to help...being anything but complimentary is not condusive to helping her desire to contribute...if it is not for you as I said earlier move along

Thx for listening[/quote]

Thanks.....I'm not a real guitar player....I think you'd all learn more about your instrument if you learned to apply the written information to your instrument. That is what I do and I can fumble through a scale on any of the instruments I own. Mastery of an instrument is not always copying some pictures, video, diagrams and the like, it is working through the puzzle of taking basic information, i.e. the scales and translating them to your instrument, what ever that may be! When you can do that you will start to have power of over your instrument and creating. I know this requires practice, patience and intelligent work, but that is what makes a good musician.

TGSuzanne

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Hear Hear Matt.

In Education there are Laws around which training should be delivered:

READINESS
REPETITION
RECENCY
PRIMACY
EFFECT
INTENSITY

I find in adults, Repetition is one of the most important, but not done in such a way as to look repetitive, this is reinforcement.
Exactly. Students are the same everywhere....always looking for a shortcut. Thank you for saying this.

TGSuzanne

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:58 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
I hate to be the dissenting voice here, but this material has been covered more than once in pretty much the same format, in the forum and more than one place on this site.

If people didn't get it the first five time around why is repeating it again going to make any difference? What we need need is to "see" it shown on the guitar. Use a white board or music notation software to visually cover the theory and then show it on the guitar.

The reason this site is so successful is the visual aspect of it, lets apply that here.
Thanks.

Ric
Possibly you'd like to make a video demo? That may help.

TGSuzanne

Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:02 pm

thanks Susanne, that helps me a lot. I have quite a few questions on chord construction from scales so I'm looking forward to the next part :)

Matt[/quote]

Hi there:

I am working on a circle of fifths reading and a chord structure reading. I will post as soon as I get free time to finish it.

mattroutley

Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:04 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
mattroutley wrote:
I have quite a few questions on chord construction from scales so I'm looking forward to the next part :)

Matt
Ask away, Matt. Perhaps we can answer some of your questions.

Ric
When using triads like C from the C scale you are only taking 3 notes (1st 3rd and 5th), this i understand but the guitar has 6 strings so what decides the other notes? i know it's not the most perfectly worded question but it's tricky to describe what's in my head!!

Music Junkie

Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:19 pm

You decide the other notes....Depending on what you want to hear. The C Chord is made up on five strings. C / E / G / C / E You could change those around to other notes on other strings and as long as you keep CEG, you still have your C Chord. There are inversions as well. The same notes, but put E in the base and you have a 1st inversion. G in the bass gives you a 2nd inversion. Still a C Chord though. Fingering becomes the biggest inhibitor to changing around too much though...

MJ

:)

rcsnydley

Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 pm

tgsuzanne wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:
I hate to be the dissenting voice here, but this material has been covered more than once in pretty much the same format, in the forum and more than one place on this site.

If people didn't get it the first five time around why is repeating it again going to make any difference? What we need need is to "see" it shown on the guitar. Use a white board or music notation software to visually cover the theory and then show it on the guitar.

The reason this site is so successful is the visual aspect of it, lets apply that here.
Thanks.

Ric
Possibly you'd like to make a video demo? That may help.
I wish I could, I have some sounds I'd like to submit and would love to try my hand at some theory classes. But alas, I have no recording equipment. If I ever get my hands on some I will see what I can do.

I guess I'm a visual person so seeing things drawn out is the way I like to go. I'll let you know when I get my video camera, but until then keep up the good work.

Ric

rcsnydley

Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:14 pm

mattroutley wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:
mattroutley wrote:
I have quite a few questions on chord construction from scales so I'm looking forward to the next part :)

Matt
Ask away, Matt. Perhaps we can answer some of your questions.

Ric
When using triads like C from the C scale you are only taking 3 notes (1st 3rd and 5th), this i understand but the guitar has 6 strings so what decides the other notes? i know it's not the most perfectly worded question but it's tricky to describe what's in my head!!
Great reply to this MJ.

The other strings in an open chord are just repeats of the 1, 3 & 5 notes of the chord. For example, in an open C chord the open 3rd string is a G the 5th and the open 1st string is an E the 3rd. If you play the C chord in the root position it starts on the 5th string and doesn't include the 6th string. If you included the 6th string which is E the 5th you would technically call it the 2nd inversion of C.

If you need an explanation of chord inversions feel free to ask.

Ric

mattroutley

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:20 pm

i would need an explaination of chord inversions but i think that is enough for me tonight!!

Thankyou for the quick replies though - i've learnt more from this forum in a week than i have in my entire time teaching myself to play!!

Matt

Music Junkie

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:10 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
Great reply to this MJ.

The other strings in an open chord are just repeats of the 1, 3 & 5 notes of the chord. For example, in an open C chord the open 3rd string is a G the 5th and the open 1st string is an E the 3rd. If you play the C chord in the root position it starts on the 5th string and doesn't include the 6th string. If you included the 6th string which is E the 5th you would technically call it the 2nd inversion of C.

If you need an explanation of chord inversions feel free to ask.

Ric
Ric: Thanks for looking at this too. I looked at my post, and saw that I mixed up the 1st and 2nd inversions...... :blush:

Inversions are fun and sometimes make for easier chord formations (or harder). The guitar is just such a dynamic instrument, that you can really go nuts.

I drew out a fretboard with pencil and paper and then did one up for each chord (as I constructed them from the major scales). Then I went through and circled all three notes from each triad. Then I just stared at them for a while and tried to envision fingerings for chords. It was a really helpful exercise. Then you can mix in 7ths and all other sorts of crazy stuff. Quite extensive.

MJ

B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic