assigning chords to a solo...

mattroutley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:23 pm

BigBear wrote:
mattroutley wrote:
fjvdb wrote:
Looking at those notes, you're likely in the key with 5 sharps (every black key on the piano): a circle of 5ths chart shows that's either B-maj, or G#-minor (the 'relative minor' of B-maj).

What note does the lead 'feel' like it resolves on? YOu could try posting the lead and have folks mess around with some chords... ?

PS: (F#-maj has 6-sharps, where 'F' is considered to be E# -- so, if 'F' feels like it fits in the lead, and your lead feels like it resolves on either F# or D#, then you might be in F#-maj/d#-min instead)...
it actually feels like D# is kinda the root note...

Matt- you can't find the correct scale with the info you've given us. You have to find out what that last note is. If it feels like an E you are in B major or G# minor. If it feels like an F you are in F# major/ D# minor.

Only you can solve this mystery!! LOL! :cheer:
man i had no idea it would throw so many questions back at me!!

E sounds totally wrong and F fits nicely :S

mattroutley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:30 pm

I think you've found your answer: F fits with the other notes, and you keep resolving to D# -- sounds like you're in D# minor.

wiley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:38 pm

mattroutley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks FJVDB (sorry i don't know your real name!) so how do i work out the right chords from the key of D#minor?

i apologise for my absolute newbie-ness but it was the only way i could think to actually learn theory!

also... do all major scales have a relative minor scale?

reiver

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:44 pm

The first chord will be minor, the second chord will be diminished, the third chord will be major, the fourth chord will be minor, the fifth chord will be minor, the sixth chord will be major, and the seventh chord will be major.

Yes - all major keys have relative minors (VI), eg for C it's Am.

r

wiley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:02 pm

haoli25

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:03 pm

reiver wrote:
The first chord will be minor, the second chord will be diminished, the third chord will be major, the fourth chord will be minor, the fifth chord will be minor, the sixth chord will be major, and the seventh chord will be major.

Yes - all major keys have relative minors (VI), eg for C it's Am.

r
Agreed, and since we're talking' theory a bit, here's more context:

Relative major/minor scales: as the name suggests, the 'relative' major and minor scales are ... uh ... related, in that they are in fact the exact same series of notes, just starting in different places. So, for any major scale, if you start on it's 6th degree and play the exact same notes from the major scale (and then end on that 6th degree note), you've just played the relative minor. Similarly, if you take any minor scale and start on its 3rd degree instead, you've found the relative major for that minor. These are 3 half-notes/frets apart, so their pretty easy to find on the fret board.

So, for the chords: the chords for the minor are the exact same as those for it's relative major. Other threads have shown the major scales below, where CAP = Major and lower = minor. If you keep the Maj / min designations, and just renumber the major chord series starting on 6, you have the minor chord series.

Major: I, ii, iii, IV, V, iv, VIIdim
Minor: i, IIdim, III, iv, v, VI, VII

Hope that helps, and I look forward to hearing your song when you're done!

wiley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:04 pm

wiley wrote:
Ok, I'll try again, last post came way too late.

Using these notes, you are playing a "B"-lydian scale.
Even if it resolves on D#?

wiley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:12 pm

BigBear

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:17 pm

fjvdb wrote:
wiley wrote:
Ok, I'll try again, last post came way too late.

Using these notes, you are playing a "B"-lydian scale.
Even if it resolves on D#?

I think you are equally correct! I thought he was in B major but without knowing the 7th note in the scale you can't say that categorically. I could be right, but if it resolves back to the ii of F then it couild also be D# min or F# major.

Matt gave us part of a scale with 5 sharps and that info can apply to two scales not just one. I'll bet he's really glad he asked that question! LOL! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic