assigning chords to a solo...

mattroutley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Hey guys,

I was just playing around with a solo tonight and found someting quite moody that i liked and wondered if anyone could help me apply some theory to build the song?

I may be getting out of my depth here but hey if you don't try!

so my solo includes the notes A# B C# D# F# G# and is actually nice and catchy but what i dont know how to do is work out what key that is?

I'm guessing if i can work out the key then i can apply the correct major/minor/diminished chords and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm hoping it will really help me with my understanding of guitar theory and maybe even help me write a nice little song :)

Thanks for any help in advance,

Matt

reiver

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Looks like F# to me.

r

reiver

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:57 pm

reiver wrote:
Looks like F# to me.

r
or B maybe?

BigBear

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:59 pm

mattroutley wrote:
Hey guys,

I was just playing around with a solo tonight and found someting quite moody that i liked and wondered if anyone could help me apply some theory to build the song?

I may be getting out of my depth here but hey if you don't try!

so my solo includes the notes A# B C# D# F# G# and is actually nice and catchy but what i dont know how to do is work out what key that is?

I'm guessing if i can work out the key then i can apply the correct major/minor/diminished chords and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm hoping it will really help me with my understanding of guitar theory and maybe even help me write a nice little song :)

Thanks for any help in advance,

Matt

Hey Matt! I think you're in the key of B major. In order, you've shown the vii, root, ii, iii, V and vi. The missing note to that scale is E the IV.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! :cheer:

tombo1230

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Looking at those notes, you're likely in the key with 5 sharps (every black key on the piano): a circle of 5ths chart shows that's either B-maj, or G#-minor (the 'relative minor' of B-maj).

What note does the lead 'feel' like it resolves on? YOu could try posting the lead and have folks mess around with some chords... ?

PS: (F#-maj has 6-sharps, where 'F' is considered to be E# -- so, if 'F' feels like it fits in the lead, and your lead feels like it resolves on either F# or D#, then you might be in F#-maj/d#-min instead)...

mattroutley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:05 pm

reiver wrote:
Looks like F# to me.

r
Thanks!

so if i write the scale out in the key of F# using the w-w-h-w-w-w-h pattern (bare with me i'm very new to theory!) then the scale would be...

F# G# A# B C# D# F F#

does this mean that the chords that would sound 'right' would be

F# maj, G#m , A#m, B maj, C# maj, D#m and Fdim

is that somewhere near correct?

mattroutley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:07 pm

whoops sorry guys you al posted while i was working my last post out!

Is my theory right even though the key is B not F#?

mattroutley

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:10 pm

fjvdb wrote:
Looking at those notes, you're likely in the key with 5 sharps (every black key on the piano): a circle of 5ths chart shows that's either B-maj, or G#-minor (the 'relative minor' of B-maj).

What note does the lead 'feel' like it resolves on? YOu could try posting the lead and have folks mess around with some chords... ?

PS: (F#-maj has 6-sharps, where 'F' is considered to be E# -- so, if 'F' feels like it fits in the lead, and your lead feels like it resolves on either F# or D#, then you might be in F#-maj/d#-min instead)...
D# is kinda the note i come back to most...

reiver

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:17 pm

I think F# works as the key.

If it resolves on the D# then probably D#m.

Why not drop it all by a semitone and make life easier! ;)

r

BigBear

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:18 pm

mattroutley wrote:
fjvdb wrote:

it actually feels like D# is kinda the root note...

Matt- you can't find the correct scale with the info you've given us. You have to find out what that last note is. If it feels like an E you are in B major or G# minor. If it feels like an F you are in F# major/ D# minor.

Only you can solve this mystery!! LOL! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic