assigning chords to a solo...

reiver

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 pm

I think that the confusion is being caused by the missing note from the key. Wthout knowing that note - their will have to be a little mistery 'til Matt posts the finished tune.

r

reiver

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:25 pm

BigBear wrote:
fjvdb wrote:
wiley wrote:
Ok, I'll try again, last post came way too late.

Using these notes, you are playing a "B"-lydian scale.
Even if it resolves on D#?

I think you are equally correct! I thought he was in B major but without knowing the 7th note in the scale you can't say that categorically. I could be right, but if it resolves back to the ii of F then it couild also be D# min or F# major.

Matt gave us part of a scale with 5 sharps and that info can apply to two scales not just one. I'll bet he's really glad he asked that question! LOL! :lol:
apologies - didn't see this :(

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:51 pm

mattroutley wrote:

man i had no idea it would throw so many questions back at me!!

E sounds totally wrong and F fits nicely :S
This comment implies the missing note that suggests its in the F# Maj "family of modes" rather than the B Maj family of modes. Coupled with him saying that it seems to resolve to D# lead me to suggest its likely D# minor. B-Lydian is in the same mode family as F#maj/D#min, but I would expect his melody to resolve to B if that were the scale he's playing with. Not to mention, the sharp 4th of the lydian scale sounds pretty weird (imho) to western ears, so it would be sort-of surprising to pick a melody out by ear with a sharp 4th degree... but who knows. :)

Interesting topic nonetheless, and a great way to kick off an applied theory discussion. Neil, Suzanne, want to lend any expert opinions and free Matt from us hacks? :P

EDIT: corrected a name, sorry.

BigBear

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:01 am

I was a little surprised by Matt's comment that the E didn't sound right. Both the E in the B major scale and the F in the F# major should both sound fine. They may not sound the way you want them to but neither should sound out of place.

These are the kind of theory discussions that I find really valuable to challenge my assumptions about what I think I've learned! Reiver and fjvbd, clearly you guys are well versed in theory. I'm trying to catch up with you!! Thanks! :cheer:

mattroutley

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:23 am

fjvdb wrote:
mattroutley wrote:

man i had no idea it would throw so many questions back at me!!

E sounds totally wrong and F fits nicely :S

This comment implies the missing note that suggests its in the F# Maj "family of modes" rather than the B Maj family of modes. Coupled with him saying that it seems to resolve to D# lead me to suggest its likely D# minor. B-Lydian is in the same mode family as F#maj/D#min, but I would expect his melody to resolve to B if that were the scale he's playing with. Not to mention, the sharp 4th of the lydian scale sounds pretty weird (imho) to western ears, so it would be sort-of surprising to pick a melody out by ear with a sharp 4th degree... but who knows. :)

Interesting topic nonetheless, and a great way to kick off an applied theory discussion. Neil, Suzanne, want to lend any expert opinions and free Matt from us hacks? :P
Sorry to just fall off the board like that guys but it was way past my bed time!!

This forum is awesome and i'm really grateful for the help. My aim in the future is to be able to hear a song and use the theory i have to decipher what key its in and then to play around with my own chords over the top of it - it's my opinion of the sign of a good guitarist.

I'm off to work now but i'm looking forward to playing around with some chords again tonight and if i come up with something remotely interesting i will tab it out and post it up for you guys to critique :)

Bear: after reading your post i just picked the guitar up and E definately sounds like it would be a bum note in the song!

rcsnydley

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:41 pm

The question to ask is E natural or sharp? If E is natural it is the key of B if E is sharp it is the key of F#.

This is a great use for the circle of fifths.

Ric

Chasplaya

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:06 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
The question to ask is E natural or sharp? If E is natural it is the key of B if E is sharp it is the key of F#.

This is a great use for the circle of fifths.

Ric
Yep -- Matt called out that "E-sharp" (aka: F) is the one that sounds good, not E natural.

Yes, yet another great way to use a circle of fifths chart, which I have taped over my desk at work!

mattroutley wrote:
E sounds totally wrong and F fits nicely

Music Junkie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:52 pm

BigBear wrote:
fjvdb wrote:
wiley wrote:
Ok, I'll try again, last post came way too late.

Using these notes, you are playing a "B"-lydian scale.
Even if it resolves on D#?

I think you are equally correct! I thought he was in B major but without knowing the 7th note in the scale you can't say that categorically. I could be right, but if it resolves back to the ii of F then it couild also be D# min or F# major.

Matt gave us part of a scale with 5 sharps and that info can apply to two scales not just one. I'll bet he's really glad he asked that question! LOL! :lol:
Bear: throw in the enharmonic of Gb and you just make it worse.....lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic