Circle of Fifths

TGSuzanne

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:08 pm

When I was studying classical music in college I thought the circle of fifths was just a way to memorize all my scales and key signatures. Now that I play jazz flute, and pop, rock and jazz piano, I see that a command of the circle of fifths gives you ultimate freedom when soloing. Many of the chord changes in tunes will modulate up or down a fifth, so if you have the key signature and scale of those keys already under your fingers, you will be able to solo like crazy. The famous "Rhythm changes" in jazz if a perfect example of this.

Here is how to figure out the circle of fifths.

Start with the scale of C...which has NO sharps or flats.

If you have forgotten the pattern for a Major scale, here it is:

Whole step,Whole step, Half Step, Whole step, Whole step, Whole step, Half Step.

Got C!?

Now got to the fifth step of the C scale

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

Start you next scale from that fifth note G:

Whole step,Whole step, Half Step, Whole step, Whole step, Whole step, Half Step.

You get:

G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G

There you are: the key signature for G scale is F# and G is the first scale in your cicle of fifths.

Let's try one more;

Find the fifth step of the scale of G:

G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G

Start a scale from the note D:

Whole step, Whole step, Half Step, Whole step, Whole step, Whole step, Half Step.

D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D

So, C# and F# are in the scale of D and D is the next scale in the circle of fifths.

Continue and you will see that each time you start a scale on the fifth note of the previous scale and add a sharp that is five steps up from the last sharp you added, voila, you have the next scale in the circle of fifths.

Once you hit F#, you may want to change then to the circle of fourths and re-name the sharp scales as flat scales.

The circle of fourths is done like the circle of fifths, only you find the next starting scale tone on the fourth step of the scale instead of the fifth.

Attached is a visual of this circle for those that would like to "see" this in action.

Practice these scales until you can go from one to the other without problems.

Chords coming up...... Image

suziko

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Suzanne,

That is great- I now have my homework for the week! I've copied and printed out what you wrote so that I can access it more easily when I need it (instead of trying to hunt for it in the forums). Thanks so much!!!

jayswett

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:15 pm

suziko wrote:
Suzanne,

That is great- I now have my homework for the week! I've copied and printed out what you wrote so that I can access it more easily when I need it (instead of trying to hunt for it in the forums). Thanks so much!!!
Good idea. I'll do the same when I get home.

Yamaha48

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Hello suzanne.

Thanks for all your work,to make this for us.

Greetz Anton

Music Junkie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

yamaha48 wrote:
Hello suzanne.

Thanks for all your work,to make this for us.

Greetz Anton
Swear I am not trying to hijack this thread, but it is good to see you back Anton! Hope you are feeling good.

MJ

Suzanne:

Thanks for posting this!

rcsnydley

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:56 pm

Just a supplement to this. Here is a link to a great site that has charts for the circle of fifths and scales and so much more. Check it out.

http://freenet-homepage.de/greybeard/Index.htm

Ric

Chasplaya

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:58 am

suziko wrote:
Suzanne,

TO save you copying things but still be able to find them use the Favourite button at the foot of the thread this saves it to the My Discussions tab. This places them at the top of your My Discussions as a 'sticky. Next time you go to the forums instead of needing to search through he categories just use the My Discussions tab voila you're there.

mark

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:35 am

Thanks for posting this.

I understand that the circle of fifths diagram shows me how many sharps and flats there are in each key and that it also gives the relative minor key.

What I am strugling with is how this helps me in a practical scense.
If somebody could explain the pratical applications of the circle of fifths that would be great.

AndyT

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:49 am

Mark, I'm waiting for the same explanation.

BigBear

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:11 pm

mark wrote:
Thanks for posting this.

I understand that the circle of fifths diagram shows me how many sharps and flats there are in each key and that it also gives the relative minor key.

What I am strugling with is how this helps me in a practical scense.
If somebody could explain the pratical applications of the circle of fifths that would be great.

Mark- good question. The most obvious answer is in transposing songs. I carry a Circle of Fifths wheel with me wherever I go and if I get a song in some weird key I can instantly find a better one. Or recently I played in a company jam with an accordian player who couldn't play in any of the keys my music was in so we instantly transposed to what worked for him. Really slick!

It's also good for playing with others and knowing what chords are in every key without having to memorize them all. Or writing songs. The uses for the Circle of Fifths are endless.

Don't forget there is also a Circle of Fourths for all the flatted notes. But my pea brain can't assimilate that much info! LOL! :cheer:

Here's a link for the Circle of Fourths for comparison:

http://www.poffle.com/common/060212%20c ... 04ths.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic