Meet the Modes!

TGSuzanne

Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Once a student asked me if she started a D scale from any other note, would it still be a "D" scale. Well, yes and no. The key signature would be related to D, but the whole steps and half steps would be different and therefore create a new scale, called a mode.

We already know 2 modes:

Ionian Mode= Major Scale
Aeolian Mode= Natural Minor Scale

Here are the other modes:

(W= Whole step and H=Half step)

Dorian:
W-W-H-W-W-W-H

Phrygian:
W-H-W-W-W-H-W

Lydian:
W-W-W-H-W-W-H

Mixolydian:

W-W-H-W-W-H-W

Locrian:
H-W-W-H-W-W-W

All these scales are usedat some point when improvising or composing. Dorian is often used in folk and ethnic melodies. Mixolydian is used when playing over a dominant 7th chord. Lydian, Locrian and mixolydian are all used to create melodies of the complex, extended jazz chords. All of this is way beyond this discussion, but Neil will get to this soon!

If you are curious about Modes and their use check out this interactive theory book http://www.home.earthlink.net/~codybird/index.htm
for more information.

Lavallee

Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi Suzanne, I have not had a chance to go through all the genius section Still at the third one) and maybe Neil discussed about this. But I am really happy about your post as I finally understand (I think) what the modes are. I could not see the relationship between Minor , Major scales and the modes, but now I do.

Thank you

Marc

Lavallee

Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:51 pm

If you are curious about Modes and their use check out this interactive theory book www.home.earthlink.net/~codybird/index.htm
for more information. tgsuzanne

Suzanne, not sure about your link, it seems to point to a paying site which would be a competitor to Neil.

Marc

TGSuzanne

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:40 pm

It is a site for a reference book.

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Sorry Suzanne, I looked too quickly.

Marc

BigBear

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:33 am

Suzanne- Great info! Thanks!

Can we imply then that the only difference between modes is the interval?

:cheer:

TGSuzanne

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:42 pm

The difference between modes (which are scales) is where the whole and half steps occur.

Pretty easy to understand when you think about it.

sav627

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi, I'm kind of new to this. My question is what modes are the most useful after Ionian and Aolean. I would like to learn these things in some kind of logical order ............. if there is such a thing :)

TGMatt

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:35 pm

sav627 wrote:
Hi, I'm kind of new to this. My question is what modes are the most useful after Ionian and Aolean. I would like to learn these things in some kind of logical order ............. if there is such a thing :)
If you head to Target and go into theory..

You will see that Neil is teaching theory in a structured way now...under the Acoustic genius series...

haoli25

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:40 pm

For some reason my eyes keep transposing the 'S' and the exclamation point and I keep coming back to this thread to "Meet The Models". :laugh:

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic