If you guys go back in time...

temo44

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:19 pm

how long would it take you to tackle and master the five beginners lessons on TG? I may sound a little impatient.. And maybe I am :lol: . I know that everybody has their own learning..uhm...rythm(?), but I'm just curious.

I'm trying to tackle the A chord now, but it's damn hard with putting that index finger between the other fingers... Did you guys have much trouble with that chord on Neil's way? it's also confusing from going to A to D I think...but that's just my opinion. Your opinions are welcome!

ps: Are you guys also looking forward to christmas? Damn I'm looking forward to it!!

willem

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Well Timo,,Neils A is better,,and when staying on trying the sound is coming,,try the put your index so much as you can to the other fingers,do this relaxt,,,, Merry Xmas..

johnrfeeney

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:43 pm

we all go through it
yes the A Neil's way is difficult, I have always played it with finger 3-5 (ring to pinky)
I have seen it played numerous ways - doing it Neil's way from the start does allow one to use their fingers in a more mobil fashion esp. when becoming a finger-style player but people can learn how to do the darndest stuff and a lot of times no one else can mimic it
ultimately it's about learning the correct habits at first and then finding your own style - it only happens over time and practice

tovo

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:26 pm

Temo you are what is known as a man on a mission! lol. Your question is difficult to answer, it will take as long as it takes. The more regular and focused your practice the quicker you will master these chords and techniques. As a number of people have said you appear to be a quick learner so I suspect you will be impressing us with your progress.

I had to change the way I fingered the A (and D minor....and G etc) to mirror Neil's teaching but like everything he teaches there is good reason for it and the bit of pain you will have in learning it or changing the way you are fingering it will pay off so stick with it. With the change from A to D, if you finger it according to Neil you can leave your index finger planted and just slide it closer to the fret when you move from A to D, just practice it over and over......and over....and over. Changing from A to D and back. Before long it's in your head and in your fingers. Good luck with it.

Absolutely looking forward to Christmas. Hope you have a good one.

BobR

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Temo,

It does take a lot of time, patience, and a lot of practice. Fortunately for me when I learned the A and G many years ago it was Neils way. I have a hard time doing them any other way.

Keep on practicing and Merry Christmas, I too am looking forward to it.

Bob( and we have plenty of snow today)

Lavallee

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Temo, I think that you will improve as quickly as your method of praticing. It will go as fast as the energy you put on what you have difficulty with.

I am always looking forward to the Holiday Season.

Keep up the good work

Marc

aitch

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:57 pm

No matter how long it takes, enjoy the journey -- that's what it's all about.

MarkM

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:59 pm

Temo,

Yup pretty much what everyone else said is true. Practice, practice, practice. I wish I could take a pill and I would master it. That wouldn't be as much fun though. :cheer: Yes it can be extremly frustating at times. I'm in one of those stages now.

As for the A chord, if you're lucky to have learned it Neil's way in the begining then that is great. If you are like the many of us who learned it with different fingerings then it would be more difficult as your muscle memory is used to something else. I am trying to incorporate Neil's A where I can and where it makes sense. Sometimes I'll use a different fingering if/when I'm going to be moving to a different chord. (Unfortunetly I'm always looking for the shortcuts) :blush:

With more practice you'll get to know the most common chords very quickly with out having to think about it. It's when you see those nasty 7th, 9th and chords up the neck that will get you down the road. So as you can see it always comes back to practice, practice, practice.

You'll get better every day. Just like the rest of us will......

MarkM

AndyT

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:22 pm

I tried and still try to finger the A chord the way Neil teaches it but I have no end of trouble with it. I use a 2 finger A because my phlanges are so large. But I still keep working on it.

mocoffee

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:44 pm

TMan:

It's like this.....pay the price now.......
(perfect practice makes perfect) reap the benefits later.

OR

(practice using bad habits now) and pay the price later.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Good Luck and hope to chat with you again.

Like I told my girls when working on their basketball game years ago.........
"Their is no shortcut to greatness"

MOCOFFEE

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic