Scale question

frybaby

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:41 pm

When practicing scales, should one be concentrating on, the finger patterns, the interval relationships, the actual notes being played. Hope it not all of the above.

Music Junkie

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:26 pm

frybaby:

I asked Neil that question during a TG Live and his answer was "All of the Above"....lol Most important in there though, if I remember correctly, was the scale degree. For example, if you are playing a C major scale, you should know when you play the G note, that you are playing the fifth of the scale.

Hope that helps!

MJ

frybaby

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:51 pm

Thank MJ, just another example of why we should all be Target Members.
Regarding intervals and scale degrees, I just thought I would share one of the exercises I have developed that helps me figure what scale degree is where on the neck..
I memorized the scale degree between strings on a common fret, for example in any given fret, if given the root note or scale degree 1 is on the 6th string, then the scale degree are alwas as follows an you go from strings 6 to 5 to 4 ect. always remaining is the same fret. considering sting 6 string = scale degree 1, then 5 string = scale degree 4, sting 4 = degree b7, sting 3 = degree b3, string 2 = degree 5 and string 1(little e) = degree 1. With those degrees as reference points I can easily find the other scale degrees on any given string.

I have a system if the root is on strings other that 6, but it a little difficult to explain
Hope this proves useful.

Frybaby

Music Junkie

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Good way to reference it for yourself. I am horrible...... I started out memorizing patterns, but not degrees or notes. Now I can play many scales backwards and forwards, but have no clue what to do with them.....lol I am starting to go back and slowly learn the degrees and actual notes. I will mess around with your reference and see how it feels for me. This instrument can be such a great thing, and it can also be a lot of work.....lol The key, as always, is to just have fun!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic