Where do you learn what scales can be played over a cord progression

benjamin_lws

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:11 pm

I know my keys and the cord progressions. How do I learn what scales can be played over the progression?

reiver

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi benjamin, welcome to the site. You should look at Acoustic Genius lessons under the Target tab at the top of your page. It will cover all you need to know about scales and modes there.

Have fun

r

TGSuzanne

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:29 pm

An easy starting point is to know the key that you are in and that will tell you the "basic" scale you will use. For a V7 chord you will use a mixolydian mode and for a ii chord you will want to use a dorian mode (in that key), etc. The IV and vii chords get a little tricky but your ear will tell you what to use with those with practice. A good way to get used to to the sounds of each scale over a chord is get someone to play chords for you (or record yourself) and then practice playing the major scale of the key you are in over each chord as you go through them. Then play the mode that matches the scale degree of the chord (i.e.: a ii chord = second note in the scale, use dorian mode) You will start to hear that there are notes you want to avoid and notes that are exceptionally cool. This is why scales like pentatonic and diminished have become popular, they seem to include or exclude most of the notes that don't work. do remember that even though the key signature of a tune may not change, sometimes the key, or tonal center DOES change, and therefore so will the set of scales you will use.

Many times you can use one scale over many notes, for example a ii-V7-I progression works just fine with a major scale of the I chord. Experiment and you'll start to learn what to use and what sounds the best for the music you are playing.

hasben

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:45 pm

This thread is a prime example of the worth of this site! Me, I'm a campfire guy and probably always will be. However, I do like to stretch the gray matter and fire a few new neurons from time to time. Suzanne's post will take me a while to even make sense, much less master. "That's why I'm here".
Fred

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic