Amy Winehouse

AndyT

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:14 am

I don't think I've ever heard any of her stuff except the two linked to in this thread. She has a voice, but no matter how talented she may be, I don't care for her message. And as we all know, the message is the reason for the music, words or not.

Very unlikely I'll be purchasing any of her work.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 am

Well I guess you can take Amy out of the gutter but you will never get the gutter out of Amy. Fantastic singer gone completely off the rails (was maybe never on them). Poor girl will probably not live long enough to make more of an impact than she has made already. I do find it hard to separate the behaviour and personality from the performance when it comes to violent and abusive behaviour: I like Oasis and Amy less for it, but I have enormous respect for Gordon Lightfoot who had a drink or two. The Beatles were no saints and I disliked John's aggressiveness but loved his songs more than Paul's as they were more authentic and auto-graphic. I respect many sport performers but dislike the selfish personality of many of them. Jimmy Connors comes to mind and John MacEnroe was brilliant but a perfect arse often enough! The world is learning to deal with Tiger Woods right now, the jury is out on the verdict for the time being. In the end, you have to take or leave the total package.

This is one way of looking at it:

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:50 am

I've just spent the last 30minutes reviewing her lyrics and some are pretty much what young teens today like, close to the edge if not over I beleive to purposefully shock! Hey thats novel didnt the Stones do that? and some are covers of older music All Your Loving for example, some are obviously from someone with a troubled past and then some are downright beautiful. Some critics I've read reckon the fast track to stardom has been too difficult for her to handle I mean short career but 6 Grammy nominations getting 5 awards! Some guys give her credit for reintroducing todays kids to R&B, Jazz and Soul music, other singers like Lady Gaga and Duffy credit her for paving the way for them.

I think a few of us are turning into our parents!!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:59 am

I think a few of us are turning into our parents!!
My dad looked like a 6 foot 4 inch version of Ronny Barker.... I'll keep checking the mirror! :-)

AndyT

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:01 am

The older I get, the more I realize that my parents were actually right! Shame it took so long to beat it thru my thick skull.

heyjoe

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 am

We're all turning into our parents, pretty much, apart from a few modifications that we make to ourselves.

Anyway, thats not such a bad thing is it, we all turned out ok didnt we? :woohoo:

wiley

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:07 am

AndyT

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:53 pm

Wiley!

Just what I wanted to say but I did not want people to think I was 'Preaching' at them.

Thank you!

johnrfeeney

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:51 pm

i just watched the Back to Black on utube - never heard of her before

this song reminded me of old fashion nightclub style

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 pm

johnrfeeney wrote:
i just watched the Back to Black on utube - never heard of her before

this song reminded me of old fashion nightclub style
She's world infamous in the UK

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic