What key is it in?

carpet

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Turn! Turn! Turn! The version by The Byrds. Anybody know what key/keys I should be looking at?

BigBear

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:57 pm

carpet wrote:
Turn! Turn! Turn! The version by The Byrds. Anybody know what key/keys I should be looking at?

If you play it D-G-F#m-A I would say it's in the key of D.

Cheers! :cheer:

carpet

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:33 pm

Bear!!! You just did the guitar equivalent of telling me how a film ends!! Aaaargh. But thanks anyway!

BigBear

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 pm

carpet wrote:
Bear!!! You just did the guitar equivalent of telling me how a film ends!! Aaaargh. But thanks anyway!
Sorry buddy! Didn't I answer your question? You didn't say what chords you were playing the song in so I assumed you used the normal chords most people play the song with and then gave you the key.

Was your question how to find the key or find the chords? :cheer:

AndyT

Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:38 pm

He wanted to figure it out himself Rick.

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 am

Bear:

I asked this question once (quite a while ago). For those of us who struggle with transcription, it is nice to get a little lead on the key of a song and then give a serious go at trying to get the chords from there. Kind of a little stepping stone to being able to figure the key out ourselves......

No harm, no foul though, cause I don't think carpet is going to run out of songs to check on.....lol I know I wont!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :)

carpet

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:06 pm

You answered my question fully... too fully!!Only joking, like MJ says - I'm not gonna run out of songs anytime soon! I shoulda been more explainative.

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Carpet:

When working on transcription, I find it helpful to think of the songs in terms of scale degrees as well as just the chord names. For example, on this one I, IV, iii, V..... That way if you ever decide to transpose it is much easier to do so. Also, knowing your scales degrees will pay off in the long run on other issues as well....

Have fun! Transcribing can test you, but from personal experience, when you finally get a song done, it feels great!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic