How Deep is This Thing Called Theory

RicksPick

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi All

I have been trying to start on this thing called theory
Got as far as learning the first 2 patterns
Whilst I understand it so far and now starting on the minor's
Then I start to panic as Neil says once the majors are memorized(7 keys),also on the sixth step you know how to link the relative minors(Not explaining to well but not my real question,try to get to the point Rick).

I have never seen myself as playing any sort of lead
I just want to play some/a lot of beautiful tunes very well, good enough to show others maybe (outside of the kind nurturing TG family)
Heck I'm still trying to get my strum to sound good.

So I'm panicking that there is too much to memorize
Or can I understand the theory (where the whole notes,half steps go 3-4,7-8. 2-3,5-6. and so on)without memorizing each scale for every key.

Or is there only a few more and I'm panicking to early?
As I just said in Joe's post(But thought better not hijack that post. ) about it being an ocean and not a pool,
Is it just a pond, how much do I need? yes I would like to know some theory,how much is enough for a " rhythm guitarist" who plays other peoples music.

RicksPick

RicksPick

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Well just got through Fundamentals III --Minor scales 3
Neils Says It can seem overwhelming memorizing it all and gives a way to make it easier ish. So I guess that helps some.

RicksPick

haoli25

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:11 pm

BEWARE, it is a bottomless pit, Rick. Save yourself before its too late! :laugh:

Bill

AndyT

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 pm

As a rhythm guitarist, you don't need a whole lot. But to be able to do some improv fingerstyle, then you should know at least your scales, Keys, and how to build chords. That's more than many pro guitarists actually know and will put you 'up there' and give you the skills and knowledge to use them well.

BigBear

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Rick- that is the 64 dollar question that every guitarist must ask. I just wanted to play music and not learn all this stinking theory!!

So yes, theory can be described as a body of water but you decide how big and how deep it is. Like others have said, if you don't want to ever play lead why learn the scale patterns? But I discovered that I get some real enjoyment plinking along with another guitarist or even a recorded song. I can do it for hours.

My problem has been the more theory I learn the more sense it starts to make and I want to learn more. Scale patterns, the Circle of Fifths, intervals, modes and all the rest are finally starting to make some sense.

I think all guitarists have to approach this subject on two fronts. The first is to make music, usually the reason you took up the guitar and secondly, concurrently, learn as much theory as you can and in the order that does you the most good.

Who needs to know the Hypophrygian mode if you don't know the five scale patterns yet? Learn what you need as you need it or want to learn more!

Good luck Rick! I truly believe it's worth it! :cheer:

eosaben

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:24 pm

It seems like you are learning Major Scales. I would recommend starting out with the Pentatonic Scale. There are only 5 notes in the scale and only 5 boxes/patterns to learn. From there you can expand to the Major Scales since the Pentatonic is just an abbreviated version of the Major Scale. It's all the same notes but it excludes the half steps at interval 4 and 7 of the Major Scale.

Below is a link to the patterns. The good news is that once you master those 5 patterns, you just shift them to play in different keys. The example they use is in the key of G Minor but if you shift the first pattern to the 5th fret, then you play it in A minor, etc...

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/minor-p ... /index.php

Also, two more tips for scale work. First, the major and minor scales are the same scale. Once you have learned one, you've learned both. It just depends on where you start the pattern.

Second, to find a relative minor on a guitar. Just count backwards three frets. For example, the relative minor for G Major is E Minor. If you count backwards from the 3rd fret on the 6th string it's E. So, following that same pattern. The relative minor of Ab is f. The relative minor of A is f#, Bb-g, etc...

Hope this helps. And BTW, theory is a bottomless ocean. Kind of like how this post ended up. :)

heyjoe

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:06 am

Hey Rick

I'm with you on this theory stuff, we're at the shallow end, looking towards the deep end and wondering if we're gonna drown.

Luckily it seems we're surrounded by lifeguards to keep us afloat at all times.

It's deep and dark on the ocean, but we'll be fine as long as we don't meet any pirates :laugh:

Nautical theme over, I agree theres a lot to learn, but with the TG guys to help, I'm confident we'll be fine.

Joe

RicksPick

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm

LOL Thanks Bill

Thanks Andy interesting point

Bear Thanks, that's what is scary starting to get into it and realizing how much there may be, several years worth!

Eosaben thanks for the tips, may use later as I don't want to confuse this any more.

Joe, shipmate, Yes I'm feeling more positive "with a little help from our friends"

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement, I will carry on,

RicksPick

frybaby

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:04 am

I am of the openion that music theory is as deep as you want to take it.Many years ago I took a few guitar lessons, for about 6 month and got facinated with theory, I just found my self intrested in what make chord what they are, and why some fit with others etc. I got so involved I started paying more attention to that than making music. I was running scales, playing inversions and figuring out new inversions. I drove my wife nuts. She kept asking me just to play a song. I also figured to realy know theory you realy need to read music, which I can't So I backed off a bit. I would still love to know more about what going on behinds the scene of what I am playing,but since I been here I been playing and learning more song and having fun. Dont get me wrong theory is fun I love it too, but now I spend time with both. A few hours here and there with theory, then I try to find some practical application in a song.
Any to the point theory is deep my friend, and you can spend a life time and never get to the bottom. After all it ultimatley math.

wiley

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic