book recommendation

snoopy64

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:35 am

Hi there,
after I more or less recentently discovered the usefulness of knowing something about music theory, I was on the lookout (in addition to Neils great theory lessons) for a book, that I could take everywhere I go ... especially internet-free zones ;) .
Maybe I overheard Neils recommendation in one of his video lessons, but if that's the case maybe I'm not the only one :blush: .
In one of the forum threads Neil recommended
The Guitar Handbook: The Essential Encyclopedia for Every Guitar Player by Ralph Denyer.
I bought this book and I was not disappointed. Especially for people from Europe (not GB) it is nice to see, that theory books can be fun (okay ... not fun, but at least very interesting) to read. German theory books for instance are very often boring ... No pictures, no examples that make sense ...
So if someone is looking for a book to buy ... do what Neil says ... as always ;)
Birgit

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:16 am

Thanks for the recommendation Birgit... I know what you mean about German theory books!
Another book that may interest people is This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel Levitin. If you have ever really wanted to understand music and how your brain interprets sound, this is stunning. It gives a very entertaining basis of how music theory functions too. Before I read this, I didn't know that loudness and pitch are purely psychological constructs and that Meter is created by our brains (by extracting information from rhythm and loudness cues and refers to the way in which tones are grouped with one another across time), for example.

jim56

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:21 am

Hi Birgit,

I bought the book based on Neils recommendation and it is an excellent read! Full of useful information such as Guitar Maintenance, performance technology and my favorite The Chord Dictionary.

Jim

Lavallee

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:03 am

Hi Birgit I also bought Denyer's book after JIm's recommendation, read it once and really enjoy it. You are reminding me to go ahead and read it again.

Have fun

Marc

BigBear

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Birgit- thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean about German theory books. I must have about half of all of them on my bookshelf and few are very exciting to read! But music theory isn't much better.

The only way music theory works for me is in small doses and always with real-life application on the fretboard. I have to hear it and feel it for it to make any sense at all.

Good luck and cheers! :cheer:

2648wgb

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:17 pm

The best money I have ever spent on a music theory book is for 'The Songwriting Secrets OF The Beatles' by Dominic Pedler. I believe it's out of print but new copies are still available from internet book dealers. 791 brilliant pages explaining the genius (in music theory) that was the Beatles. Highly recommended.

thereshopeyet

Tue May 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks

snoopy64

Tue May 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Did you get a new copy? I took a look at our online stores over here, but I couldn't find a new book and the used ones are extreeeeemly expensive. Before I spend that kind of money I'd like to take a look first. Maybe there'll be a new edition one day ... if I'm thorugh with my theory book by then ... I'll a try with the Bealtes.
Cheers
Birgit

thereshopeyet

Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks

2648wgb

Tue May 04, 2010 3:55 pm

You can see parts of the book at google books

http://books.google.com/books?id=fts1uK ... njdIK&cd=1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic