book recommendation

thereshopeyet

Tue May 04, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks

neverfoundthetime

Wed May 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Good to hear that you ordered THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON MUSIC thereshopeyet! It's one of those books I kepp picking up, read a couple of pages and have to thing about what I've digested for a while. SO It's taking me a long time to go through and it's one I'll keep a reference book for sure.

thereshopeyet

Wed May 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks

tom18

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:37 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation Birgit... I know what you mean about German theory books!
Another book that may interest people is This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel Levitin. If you have ever really wanted to understand music and how your brain interprets sound, this is stunning. It gives a very entertaining basis of how music theory functions too. Before I read this, I didn't know that loudness and pitch are purely psychological constructs and that Meter is created by our brains (by extracting information from rhythm and loudness cues and refers to the way in which tones are grouped with one another across time), for example.
Chris,
Thanks for the recommendation. I picked this book up at my local library and just finished it yesterday; it was well worth reading. I'm wondering if there would be interest in starting a group on this site for book recommendations. I'm sure there are many other great titles that TG members could share.
Tom

rosskirk

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:28 am

Hi there, i have just purchased a book called "Music Theory for Guitarists: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask"

The reason i purchased this book was because it had great reviews on amazon.

I am going to have to wait a bit longer for it now as my card expired:( had to put in another card number. Hopefully get it on Wednesday

Adios Amigo :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic