Preparation for improving intros and solo

jayswett

Sun May 02, 2010 12:31 pm

I want to be able to develop my own solos and intro to songs that basically just have chord strumming throughout. I want to spice up the song a bit, but have no idea how to do so. I Was wondering what on Neil's site is best to watch and practice in order to accomplish this for developing my own intros and solos. There is so much information and lessons on Neil's site that it feels overwhelming and want more guidance for this problem. Any help on where to start, especially on Neil's Site? I was looking at the Acoustic Genius Series, but there are SOOOOOOO MAAANNNNNY Lessons there, that it would take me forever to get through them well. thanks so much.

Diver1

Sun May 02, 2010 1:23 pm

As a start check out bass runs like in the key of G and C.
Fundamental bluegrass stuff. Go from G to C and from C back to G.
This should get you started. Internet is full of it.
Hope this helps
:)

BigBear

Sun May 02, 2010 2:44 pm

Absolutely the BEST way to learn soloing, either as intro riffs, fills or extended solos is to learn your scales. IMHO, of course! Start with learning the Pentatonic (five note) scales, both major and minor. Then learn the whole scale. Then the blues scales (flatted 3rds). That sounds simple doesn't it? lol!

Then learn how to correctly identify what key you are in by understanding what chords fit into which keys. Once you have these two critical pieces of knowledge figured out you can play any note in any any song anywhere on the fretboard.

Then the key (not the musical key!) is to either find your own style or learn to emulate the songs you want to learn. There are literally thousands of riff books and DVD's out there. What I did was I bought a CD with a band playing backing music in different keys. Then I put it on loop and I solo over the top of it. You can also do this with midi tracks or use a software program like Guitar Pro 6.

My initial goal was to get the scale patterns (a scale pattern is usually a scale repeated twice either up and down or across the fretboard) firmly established in my mind. Then to move the scale patterns around the fretboard for different keys.

As I do this I try to work on riffs or runs that use the notes of the patterns but generate some musical interest. PLaying sequential notes in a scale isn't very interesting! The cool thing is if you know the key and the corresponding pattern you will never hit a clunker aka bad note. That alone is a real confidence builder.

Now having said all this, this is a lot of work and a lot of hours of practice. There is simply no way to get around learning this stuff if you ever want to become a solo player or accompany someone with the guitar. I feel like I've only scratched the surface and I've spent hundreds of hours learning this stuff. I should have done this years ago it's so powerful.

If you want to know more just let me know and I'll try to answer your questions. Neil has several lessons on scales so that is a really good place to start!

Good luck and don't get discouraged. It will take time and patience but it will pay off in enormous dividends. I just played at a company jam session and I didn't know the song they were playing so I just played along in the right key. It sounded much better than I expected and it was so much fun I can't wait to do it again!

Cheers! :cheer:

AndyT

Sun May 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Bear is right, but there is an easier route to doing what you want.

Go back to Neil's lesson on House of the Rising Sun and learn how to play an arpeggio. At anytime you can change from just strumming a song to playing the arpeggio and it should sound fine. Use it for intros and beginner solos while someone else is playing basic rhythm. It will sound great and they will think you are a genius.

Once you can do that, then work on Neil's Acoustic Genius series and start the scale lessons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic