Playing Style

AndyT

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Up till recently, I was pretty much a rhythm player. Now I find myself moving towards finger style. This has really affected my choices in guitars.

Where are you and where are you headed with your playing?

BigBear

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Andy- Good question! I think of myself still as a rhythm player who is moving toward leads and solo accompaniment. My old, busted up hands just don't do as well fingerstyle as I would like so I may just stick to what I seem to do best.

Of course, that won't stop me from trying to become a much better finger style player but pushing 60 I have to begin to accept that I got a pretty late start at becoming a guitar prodigy. I may have to leave that to Neil!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Like you Andy I am rapidly moving more toward finger-style tunes although I still very much enjoy strumming and working to smooth it out. I feel that it's probably a mistake to exclude one or the other, but of course one will have a preference.

AndyT

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:27 am

My favorite thing to play right now is a heavy finger style blues.
I love that hard thumping driving sound especially with a finger melody running thru it.

willem

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:39 am

Yeah Andy,,''where are you and headed to'',,well i just have to look at the songs i try to learn,,then it is strumming like a campfire style but love to pick out some notes to give it a litlle more,,also i work on fingerpickin,,example.'' i''ll have to say i love you in a song'',,arpeggios, like ''wonderfull to night'' but work also on the melody part given by Neil,,were i headed to,i love to play on or friends evenings and they want some songs they like to,,but we can steer it i think,,i love both fingerpickin styles and strumming(Oo,,hope to get free from a random style,,love the strumming lessons/volume 2)so headed to songs and there style we like..

sws626

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:46 pm

In my previous guitar incarnation, I played mostly fingerstyle instrumentals. Now, I'm trying to branch out. But I find this means that a lot of the songs I'm now learning seem incomplete without someone (else) singing. I've got my hands full trying to learn to keep better time, but hope someday to be able to sing along or find someone who will. That's one of my goals for the rest of this year.

How has this affected my choice of guitars? The Martin 000 is a great for finger style blues and I love the sound. It's probably a bit quiet for playing rhythm in a band, but I don't mind that. The Gibson 335 is about something else altogether -- I'm not sure what just yet.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic