Playing nicely with others...

AndyT

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:42 am

Michelle,

As a side comment, I'm not religious either. And I'm pretty sure you know what I do. That's all I'll say on that.

There must be at least 10 places in every city to find jam partners. Just in this thread alone we have probably named at least that many.

Good point on music being personal. But I think you will find after a while that its also something to be shared and its not often you will run across someone that you simply refuse to share with for some reason. The link here is that its personal for all of us and if you can understand that, then you can be a good playing partner for others because its personal for them too.

michelew

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:03 am

I take your points Andy. And no offence intended. I guess I just don't know how to describe the difference between you and I in that regard (maybe it is a smaller difference that I anticipate).

AndyT

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:24 am

Michelle,

No offense taken. Check your PMs.

michelew

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:36 am

AndyT wrote:
Michelle,

No offense taken. Check your PMs.
Done. Thanks.

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Well, here's a thought. I stopped into a Guitar Center on the way back from a job a couple of weeks ago just to pass some time. The nearest music store that has any good selection of guitars is more than an hour drive from my house, so this was quite an event for me. I grabbed a Taylor and then a Martin and was just plucking away when three kids (I'd say 16 - 18 years old) burst into the room, each grabbed a guitar, and started jamming as if it were a practice session for them. I waited politely for them to finish, but, after about 20 - 30 minutes of waiting for my turn, I realized that they were on it for the rest of the day. Then they started playing some songs that I know, sooooooo . . . . . what the heck . . . . I jumped in and played along with them. No introductions, no conversation, I wasn't even facing them. We just played music. After a few tunes, I had to leave, so I hung the guitar back up on the wall and walked out while they continued. Kind of weird, but fun actually.

So now you might find me lurking around the music store looking for an impromptu open jam session. Sometimes you've just got to dive in . . . . . as long as you aren't offending anyone.

sws626

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Oh, yes. You've discovered the Erica Jong school of jamming.

dennisg

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:22 pm

sws626 wrote:
Oh, yes. You've discovered the Erica Jong school of jamming.
Haha...it's not in every forum that you get an Erica Jong "Fear of Flying" reference. My hat's off to you, Stuart.

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:05 pm

HA! I'd better watch what I say here, or I'll get a strange reputation. Good one Stuart.

dennisg

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
HA! I'd better watch what I say here, or I'll get a strange reputation. Good one Stuart.
I think you experienced the zipless pluck.

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Ack! I walked into that one. Got any more?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic