Playing nicely with others...

michelew

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:13 am

I think it's time to start playing with other people instead of just working at my own pace on things I pick from the TG library.
I've starting googling to see whether there are any jamming groups in my area. No luck so far, mostly just various group teaching classes. So I'm wondering how those of you that play in groups got started and how you find it. Was it through friends? Or did you do what I'm trying to do, start from scratch and getting to know a group of strangers who's only thing in common with you may have been that they also enjoy playing guitar?

I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Michele

TGMatt

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:18 am

this is a great post...we have a feature that is coming soon...that will help the facilitation of these groups...

tovo

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:24 am

Hey Michele. It's a good question. As you know, I play quite regularly with a friend who is more experienced, and he has pushed me to take on more complicated tunes than I may have otherwise tried. It's fun to play with others and great for learning.

One point that could prove useful for you. I discovered that a lot of my workmates play. In my small section alone there are 2 other players, and several more in the company (of around 50 people). I have played with 2 of my workmates. One who is older and just likes to strum country tunes (nothing at all wrong with that, just not really to my interest) and the other who is a younger woman and a very good finger-style player. She picks up tunes very quickly and I had fun playing music with her. So she is another option for me when I want to play with someone else.

I know you are rather shy Michele, so I thought that perhaps you could check and see if people you already know are players. If there is a colleague you know and like, he or she may already be part of a wider group so could introduce you. At least you would be going with someone you feel comfortable with already.

Otherwise, if I were you I would make the leap and seek out a group to play with. You should certainly not fear that from an ability perspective you are already a sound player and improving every day. I know that route would present other challenges for you, but I think you would benefit.

Good luck!

michelew

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:24 am

ooowwwww....

The above was in response to Matt's response, not Tony's who snuck in while I was reading.

michelew

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:31 am

tovo wrote:
Hey Michele. It's a good question. As you know, I play quite regularly with a friend who is more experienced, and he has pushed me to take on more complicated tunes than I may have otherwise tried. It's fun to play with others and great for learning.

One point that could prove useful for you. I discovered that a lot of my workmates play. In my small section alone there are 2 other players, and several more in the company (of around 50 people). I have played with 2 of my workmates. One who is older and just likes to strum country tunes (nothing at all wrong with that, just not really to my interest) and the other who is a younger woman and a very good finger-style player. She picks up tunes very quickly and I had fun playing music with her. So she is another option for me when I want to play with someone else.

I know you are rather shy Michele, so I thought that perhaps you could check and see if people you already know are players. If there is a colleague you know and like, he or she may already be part of a wider group so could introduce you. At least you would be going with someone you feel comfortable with already.

Otherwise, if I were you I would make the leap and seek out a group to play with. You should certainly not fear that from an ability perspective you are already a sound player and improving every day. I know that route would present other challenges for you, but I think you would benefit.

Good luck!
Thanks Tony that's a good idea. I do have one good friend at work who also plays, but she lives up the mountains which is about 2 hours from where I live. We talk about getting together, but it hasn't happened yet.

I think I need to find some people that I can play with regularly so I can get over my performance anxiety and uncomfortableness in being in a group of people I don't know well.

I'll start asking around.

Good thinking.

Michele

BigBear

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:18 am

Michele- this is really the focal point of becoming a "true guitar player". Playing nicely with others is so much more challenging than sitting in your living room wailing away. There are two issues that I found problematic:

1. where do you find other players who want to jam?

2. where do you find players of similar skill levels?

Like Tony, I've had the most success from work and from friends who I know play. These are the "safest" places to find playing companions since you know eacdh other and aren't as intimidated.

But there are other resources too. Bulletin boards at your local guitar shop are always good. Guitar instructors often know other students wanting to jam and many instructors are adamant that their students do play with others.

The biggest challenge for me has been finding playing partners of like skill. If you find a really good player, they typically get bored quickly because you aren't challenging them to get better. Likewise, if you are much better than your partner you will get bored too because you feel more like an instructor than a partner.

That's why it was so great getting together with Jerry because while he is a better player than I am the gap was manageable and we knew many of the same songs.

One thing I have found is the more songs you know, the more fun you are to play with. The TARGET catalog is simply fantastic for this. I was jamming at work with some better players but when I pulled out some TARGET songs I instantly became more interesting to play with.

If you haven't done so already, build a 3-ring binder of your "good stuff" or even songs you know. You don't have to have them mastered, just be able to play through them. Both Jerry and I had a notebook and we instantly had songs to play many or most not even in the TARGET program. Sharing and learning new songs together is a huge factor in successful jamming relationships.

I could go on and on on this subject but one last thing is if you find a playing partner, set some goals. Pick a few songs from each of your Good Stuff books and commit to learn the other person's songs really well. Then you can have some fun improvising. I had never played Kansas City before I met Jerry but I could at least noodle along with an improvised accompaniment. But next time we get together I will be much better at it!

There is nothing more fun, exciting and rewarding than finding a good playing partner. Your skills as a guiatrist will skyrocket when you have to become accountable for timing and correct chord changes. You don't get "do overs" in the middle of a song with another player!

Good luck with this and have a great time! Let us know if you find a good playing partner!

Cheers! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:27 am

Hi Michelle, I started a work social guitar club, and got a range of people at varying levels, some better some the same and some absolute beginners. I actually found playing with all three levels helped develop my playing in different ways. Bonus of course I actually knew these people some quite well already. Out of this club we reformed the Police Station band. I think if you can find friends or at least work associates this is one hurdle less to get over.

willem

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:53 am

Michele,,Rick say's it well,,Tony also,, i would say,start small,only with a other guitar player and see where you two able at,(strumming,pickin,,soloin,,etc),,when you play together it is great to do both diffrent things..(not nessesary)..I find the same level very important and the willing to teach each other,,and the very very thing is the fun you will have,,in my group is the fun the biggest,, i'm the bad player but learning and they respect that...an other idea is maybe that you put every where on billbords(store's, etc) were you looking at...or the net!!! (facebook, or something,,here in Holland we have ''hyves'') I have a idea to go and sit in the park sometime(when i know a lot of songs that i can do alone)and see what's coming up or along..wish you the best in finding someone/group ,its the most fun you can have...i must say practicing is also a lot of fun..

AndyT

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:04 am

One of the music stores here has open mic every first Thursday. The only rule is not to speak badly of anyone. Only positive comments are allowed. Anyone can safely get up and jam with anyone. And here in Hawaii, you never know who you might end up playing with.

I don't really think you will have a problem finding people to jam with. If anything, you might wind up with more than you have time for. Guitar is very addicting and the more people you meet, the more you will meet.

Good luck in your search.

michelew

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:35 am

Rick, Chas, Willem, Andy,

This is fantastic advice, all of it. There's is some really good stuff that I hadn't thought of.

I have a binder of music, but most of it is solo finger picking songs not songs that you can really play with others. So while I'm trying to find someone and working up the courage I might just start learning some play-along type songs from the TG library.

You've given me food for thought.

Thanks guys.

Michele.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic