Playing nicely with others...

willem

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:45 am

A nice one is ''brown eyed girl''(Target) and ''wonderful tonight'' and NW

michelew

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions Willem. They're all great songs.

NW....oowwwwhh... then I could play with the big green guy.

willem

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:06 am

michelew wrote:

While eating a sandwich!!!

michelew

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:09 am

willem wrote:
michelew wrote:

While eating a sandwich!!!
Hmm...sounds messy.

sws626

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:41 am

Hi Michele,

Great topic and one I've been thinking about as well. Everyone has made really good suggestions. The work colleague route sounds like a promising one -- though, for me, not practical since my work colleagues are all 8 time zones away in California.

I'm curious about whether the idea Matt & Co. have in the works involves somehow leveraging the relationships we've already developed on the TG forum. Nothing beats a face-to-face encounter, but it should be possible to organize virtual jamming sessions via Skype or some similar video conferencing service. Anyone try this? Anyone up for trying it?

-Stuart

willem

Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:13 am

sws626 wrote:
Hi Michele,

Great topic and one I've been thinking about as well. Everyone has made really good suggestions. The work colleague route sounds like a promising one -- though, for me, not practical since my work colleagues are all 8 time zones away in California.

I'm curious about whether the idea Matt & Co. have in the works involves somehow leveraging the relationships we've already developed on the TG forum. Nothing beats a face-to-face encounter, but it should be possible to organize virtual jamming sessions via Skype or some similar video conferencing service. Anyone try this? Anyone up for trying it?

-Stuart
I believe Chris did something with Heyjoe,with skipe..

BigBear

Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:39 am

michelew wrote:
I have a binder of music, but most of it is solo finger picking songs not songs that you can really play with others. So while I'm trying to find someone and working up the courage I might just start learning some play-along type songs from the TG library.
Michele- one thing I really "missed", or failed to realize in this whole jamming discussion is that no one wants to hear my old ballad, folk tunes, fingerstyle tunes. Unless you play like Neil people want more lively upbeat stuff. If the tempo is below 100 bpm leave it in the living room! lol! You might be able to sneak in a couple of 90's but not many!

BTW- Willem is correct- Brown Eyed Girl is always a big hit wherever I play! :cheer:

willem

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:04 pm

BigBear wrote:
michelew wrote:
I have a binder of music, but most of it is solo finger picking songs not songs that you can really play with others. So while I'm trying to find someone and working up the courage I might just start learning some play-along type songs from the TG library.
Michele- one thing I really "missed", or failed to realize in this whole jamming discussion is that no one wants to hear my old ballad, folk tunes, fingerstyle tunes. Unless you play like Neil people want more lively upbeat stuff. If the tempo is below 100 bpm leave it in the living room! lol! You might be able to sneak in a couple of 90's but not many!

BTW- Willem is correct- Brown Eyed Girl is always a big hit wherever I play! :cheer:
To make a nice reptoir aint easy,,,save your best numbers for last,,that they remember,,that very last number,,make it a blast...

jim56

Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:33 pm

I posted this about 3 months ago, would be great to have a TG only version.

Found this website and thought I’d share it with TG. Has potential for collaborating on your next video recording.

Fender and eJamming announce agreement.

eJamming AUDiiO provides a virtual rehearsing and recording studio for the estimated 150 million broadband-enabled musicians and singers worldwide. With eJamming AUDiiO, musicians can write, rehearse, arrange, learn, practice, play and even record with each other over the Internet in real time and in sync. All they need is access to a computer, a broadband connection, an audio interface device and a microphone.

Free 30 day trial!

www.ejamming.com/learn-more/

The higher your bandwidth
the better your eJamming experience.
4 players - high bandwidth: 800 Kbps Upload
4 players - medium bandwidth: 600 Kbps Upload
3 players - high bandwidth: 650 Kbps Upload
3 players - medium bandwidth: 450 Kbps Upload
2 players - high bandwidth: 400 Kbps Upload
2 players - medium bandwidth: 250 Kbps Upload

WE DO NOT RECOMMEND USING A WIRELESS ROUTER AS IT ADDS LATENCY TO YOUR CONNECTION.

eJamming's new PortForward utility opens your ports for you. DOWNLOAD it for FREE
at http://portforward.com/ejamming/

CHECK YOUR SPEED
www.speedtest.net

Posted with TGMatts approval.

TGMatt

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:00 pm

The skype thing is ok if you want to try it, the whole technology based solution to me is not a solution, Jim posted the best way up ...so you can find drummers, and bass players and all sorts of new folk..but you are still missing the quintessential experience of person to person feel, and for beginners and lower intermediates, you really need that ...

I wandered down to a market in Campbell , San Jose the heart of Silicon Valley, and outside a coffee shop were 4 guys and 1 gal each with different skills and abilities just sitting in a circle fiddling, laughing and playing coffee...

I looked at that , and was envious of the great time they were having, and the realization that you really get closer to the core of someone in the flesh..and like babies you learn somewhat just by being around ..hearing someone say something, even if you don;t understand, or watching and hearing someone do something..

What we have here is a critical mass of players in most geographic places to do this..what we don't have is an organizational system to create "an event" and invite folk ...and when someone new joins from Eastern Zimbabwe they know from day one that the other 5 folk from your local area have all got this Saturday group going ...

So this is what I am trying to get together for the site, then it will require some of you to lead the way, take some footage to inspire others, help with the process online so folk see the path easily, and then we will try and integrate the travelling road show occasionally into that..which we are a bit behind on but will get to.

One last thing...invite people to this site for that process..they don't have to be part of Target or ever buy anything to benefit from being here..and this system that we will create will be another reason to continue making this a place to collect together..

Anyways...more soon I hope..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic