Ever find yourself mindlessly zoning out with noodlily little riffs that don't go anywhere...

carpet

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:31 pm

In response to the whole song vs parts of songs skit, I have to say that I'm typically more of a parts of songs player. i'll start out thinking, god i'd love to be able to play that, but then i'll get a good part of the way through, and ask myself what I'm actually learning and my drive to learn it will taper off. I would liken learning songs to being something like an impressionist, ie an impressionist learns voices that already belong to someone else. it's a great talent in its own right and very entertaining, but I want to really be able to put my own 'voice' out there.

that's why I've gotten so much as a guitarist from Neils theory sections, and tips and techniques, and some of his insights. The songs themselves, whilst fun and entertaining, are just like accesories, a shiny ring or necklace. Something I'm starting to think is best left until the skeleton has been pieced together and the flesh, muscle, skin and clothes added. In other words, songs should just be the cherry on top.

'Mindlessly zoning out' - this is where you're riffs etc are written. Me too, when i'm entirely absorbed in what I'm doing, i find myself creating my own things on the guitar. I think being zoned out and mindless could be just the state to be in when messing around on your guitar.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:42 pm

This thread seems really rich with good input, so much to read and think about.

I haven't gone through all the posts thoroughly yet, but I feel that there is progress to be made in playing along with music on the spur of the moment, randomly picking notes on whatever scale that my current understanding of music theory brings to mind.

If I know only one scale, that's fine ... just stick to the scale, kinda detached (so no frustration), then gradually understanding what was a mess and what was OK. Then even if it was a mess and not the right scale, it was probably a useful speed and dexterity exercise anyway.

So it is actually not even practicing, but "mindlessly zoning out" as Cori said, and it is maybe even more "mindless" than he meant at first.

... entering the "TG Twilight Zone for Zoning Out" ... farewell those who dare enter ...

Pierre

gavind1

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Anymore thoughts on this? I was trying to compose a song but I always get to a point that I have nothing, I mean zero idea on my head.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic