How often do you jam with others?

Hydroman52

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Okay, this is an attempt to see how many of us are actually seeking out others besides the TG community to help our creative potential progress. This doesn't include collaborations on TG or playing along with a recorded track from someone else. I'm talking about live face-to-face type stuff. It wouldn't necessarily be another guitarist. It could be a singer, saxophonist, or triangle player. It could be your spouse, child, next door neighbor, Tommy Emmanuel, or an alien from another planet. Are you socializing or just staying in your "room"?

For some reason, my poll questions are not showing up. Hmmmmmm.

Everyone hold that thought while I get some help on this . . . . .

In the meantime, here are the choices:

More than once a week.
Once a week.
Once a month.
A couple of times a year.
Once a year.
I haven't done this, yet.

Hang in there . . . unless someone else that knows how to create a poll wants to do this here?

WooHoo! Looks like it's working now.

willem

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Hello,,i could say ones a month,but that is not alway's treu,,holiday and such,,it goes like this..i have a friend that play's very good,,ones a month we come together with other friends that sing along,,for me i have the chance to play what i learn here,,since i'm here it goes better,,i do only strum the progressions,,my friend goes lose on the hammer ons pull off,,bass runs,,riffs etc,,i must say i come closer and closer to him,,if he want to listen to my thoughts and what i have learn here..lol

AndyT

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:54 pm

At least once a week, usually twice. Occasionally three times a week.
Every Thursday and usually Saturday.

BobR

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:21 pm

I usually get together with a friend on Friday nights. So once a week for me.

Bob

haoli25

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks for posting this poll. This should be fun.

Bill

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Does playing the accompanying chords while my son plays the melody out of the "Real Book" count????

He is working on sight reading, finger placement, hitting the correct strings and his timing. For his weekly homework, he has to play through varying songs in the "Real Book". As he plays the melody, I will "ATTEMPT" to accompany him by playing the chords. We have a lot of fun and he reminds me of how much work I still need to do..... :)

Hydroman52

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:32 am

Wow! This is all great feedback. Thanks everyone.

Willem – I know what you are talking about. When you play along with more experienced musicians, they seem to leave you in the dust and you are sort of playing in the background and learning in the corner. But the more you play, the gap closes, and soon they are saying “How did you do that?” or they’re leaning in a little closer and saying “Play that again.”

When I first started learning, I hid out in my room (that was a common thing for teenagers) and tried to make sense of it all. I got music books of my favorite songs and tried to play along with the records. After about a year or so of this, it seemed like I hit a plateau, and couldn’t seem to progress very much. I was playing most of the same songs over and over and over . . . . again and again. One day, I got a bit bold and asked the high school band instructor if I could use a music room to play my guitar during a study period. He said sure, and I took my guitar in the next day. I was very nervous, because everyone seemed to be staring at me as I carried it on the bus and through the hallways to leave it in the room. Nobody had ever done this at my school before, and I remember thinking “Why am I doing this?” When I started playing, kids and teachers began popping into the room wondering what was going on. As it turned out, one of the kids had been trying to learn guitar, too. Taking the guitar to school was one of my better decisions, because, later that week, we started a garage band and then the real learning began. Since then, it’s never been a disappointment getting together with others. This always seems to be the catalyst to keep me moving forward when things seem to be stalling out.

Right now, I'm get together with some friends once a week for only about three hours, mainly due to their schedules. It just isn't enough time for me! It seems like we play a few songs and then it's time to wrap up. But it's surprising how we all take our mini assignments home (I'll work on this intro, you transpose this song, we'll all work on the break into the chorus, etc.), and then come back to the next session all fresh and improved. It's probably better that way rather than playing too much and turning it into work . . . . did I just say that? After a session, I'm so juiced up that I'll practice another 4 - 5 hours . . . . waaaaaaaay into the wee hours of the morning.

Music Junkie wrote:
Does playing the accompanying chords while my son plays the melody out of the "Real Book" count????
Hey MJ, Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Real Book"? I've never heard of this term before.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic