What are the different versions of A7

purpleturtle

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:16 am

Hi all,

I'm quite new to guitar playing and I'm working my way through basic chords. I've noticed there's two versions of A7 - an easy and a hard one.

Can someone explain to me why this is? Which one should I be playing?

RicksPick

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:05 am

Hi PurpleTurtle

Nice handle and welcome

My view, (there are more knowlageable peeps here)

Why? most chords can be made up of notes in different places

Which one to play, which one sounds better in any given tune
ie; harder one when you need a more ringing/ higher pitch sound
Or the melody needs a higher or lower(bass) sound
sometimes there is no right or wrong, either will do.

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:22 am

Hi Purpleturtle. You will find answers to all your questions in the TARGET programme along with hundreds of lessons on songs, theory, technique etc. Really recommend you signing up there if you are serious about learning.

Chords can be made up all over the fretboard. The most usual A7 (easiest to play) is with the 2nd finger on the 4th string and 3rd finger on the 5th string of the second fret. I'm numbering the strings from thickest to thinnest as 6-1.
Later when you can barre chords, you can use the A7 higher up the fret board (higher means nearer the sound hole although you could see that as lower down the fretboard but as the notes actually get higher, I guess that's why we say higher up!). Put your 1st finger across all the strings at fret 5 (barre) 2nd finger on the 3rd string at the 6th fret and 3rd finger on the 5th string at the 7th fret.

There are several other ways to do the A7, just look up on a chord directory to see all the different shapes. Hope that helps a little.

purpleturtle

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:24 am

Thanks for the info, it makes more sense now. I'm subscribed to the chords and strumming video series, so hopefully that will clear it up.

I've come from a little experience with piano, so I'm guessing the easier A7 is like this but without the C#:

schm040

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:12 am

Go to Google images and type in A7 chord guitar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic