Scales

thedancer

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:29 am

I would like to practice the pentatonic scales.

What are the notes in pentatonic scales.

The thing I am not sure about is sharps and flats.

Many Thanks

Dancer

willem

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:43 am

In my mind it are only the wholesteps from a scale(5 notes),,leave the HALF STEPS.. C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C(C scale);pentatonic= C D F G A ,,OH OH I'M NOT SURE,,any one here..

abiliog

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:05 am

Dancer,
I don't know if you have already found this lessons, but if not, it is well worth to watch the videos about Pentatonic Scales & Patterns on the site under Acoustic Genious Series Tab.
Here's the link:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... a-patterns

Abilio

thedancer

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi Abilio. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will get back to you if I cant understand it, Theory scares me more than it should,

Take care

Dancer

thedancer

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi Willim, Thank you for this information, it has really helped me understand it more. Can you enlighten me as to how I would know if any were sharp or flat.

Forever gratefull.

Dancer

BigBear

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:50 pm

thedancer wrote:
Hi Abilio. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will get back to you if I cant understand it, Theory scares me more than it should,

Take care

Dancer

Don't be afraid of theory, it's just a way to describe what we're doing. For example, the major pentatonic scale is made up of 5 (penta=5) notes as opposed to a regular (regular is not a music term! lol!) , major scale which has 7 notes.

The pentatonic scale just omits the 4th and 7th notes of the scale. A major C scale is C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C, no sharps or flats. The C major pentatonic just omits the F (4th) and the B (7th) notes from the full, scale. So the C major pentatonic scale is just C,D,E,G,A,C (scales start and end on the tonic or root note of the scale).

It can't be easier than that right?

Now play the 4th and 7th notes in some scale and listen to the sound and see if you can tell why the pentatonic scale is the most common scale in rock, folk (including Celtic), jazz, blues and so on. Do the 4th and 7th notes add or detract or change the feel of the scale?

All of the scales are just variations of the major scale, usually by sharping or flatting one or more of the notes in the major scale.

Once you understand this, you should learn what intervals are and then all scales will make sense. Another cool thing to learn is what's called the Circle of Fifths, a circular tool to show the relationships of the notes to various scales. But worry about that later.

I have this theory that we should all be musicians first and guitarists second. If you take the time and have the patience you can apply this theory stuff to any musical instrument.

Have fun and fire off your questions as you have them!!

Good luck! :cheer:

thedancer

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:56 am

Hi BigBear
Thank you for the clear explanation and encouragement to become a musician first.

I will take your advice.

Forever gratefull

Dancer

willem

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 am

willem wrote:
In my mind it are only the wholesteps from a scale(5 notes),,leave the HALF STEPS.. C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C(C scale);pentatonic= C D F G A ,,OH OH I'M NOT SURE,,any one here..

I'm glad Bigbear came in,i was totally wrong,but had no time to see the lesson again,,so you must let the 4th and 7th note from the scale,,so when you have the Emaj scale wHiTch is and have four sharps E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E then is the pentatonic scale

E-F#-G#-B-C#-

ceaser67

Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:04 am

Rick,i love the (including celtic)part,this should be the first lesson in anyones book no matter what you are learning hahahaha,very well put my friend.
Tommy

BigBear

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:34 pm

ceaser67 wrote:
Rick,i love the (including celtic)part,this should be the first lesson in anyones book no matter what you are learning hahahaha,very well put my friend.
Tommy

Hi Tommy! Irish and Scotish music both rely heavily on the major and minor pentatonic scales! It's lucky for you that they don't have a Ranger scale, right?! LOL!

Rick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic