Barre chords help

wiley

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Lavallee

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:46 pm

BigBear wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
BigBear wrote:

- Always get your insex finger down first and in the proper position before you place the other fingers.

I says "PARDON"??!!!

(well someone would have pointed that out-- might as well be me) :evil:

Al- you are too sharp a reader!! I caught that later too! Oops! With all the old pervs on this site I should be more careful!! LOL! :silly:
I do not mimd the perv qualification but not to be called old :angry:

Marc

carpet

Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Hey, I'm sure you got all the advice you could possibly need here, but I'm a-gonna throw in my tuppence...

You mentioned that it is when you place the rest of your fingers down that it all heads south.

It would be useful for you to learn how to play some open chords with your last three (even las two) fingers, like E and A7. From there, once you're used to it, you can slide it up a fret and add your Barre. Learning to play open chords with alternative fingering will come in usefull in places other than Barre chords also, so well worth the effort.

Hope i've helped too, if a little late.

Lavallee

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:36 pm

I Think the ideal for a question like this would be to either have someone take a picture from a front and side angle, or ideally a short video. It is easier to help when there is a full picture so to speak. Two under evaluated aspect of the difficulty with bar chords is the guitar position relative to the body and the arm position (too close or too far from the body).

Marc

karatejohn

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:58 pm

I've read in e-how, to help callous your fingertips would be to soak them in rubbing alcohol. Does this really work? and if so, then would it help with my index finger to make barre chords easier? It seems like sometimes my index finger works, then after changing chords and then going back to my original barre chord position: Bm - C - F - Bm, it doesn't work anymore, it seems that theres holes in my index finger. How can I remedy this?

AndyT

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:47 am

karatejohn wrote:
I've read in e-how, to help callus your fingertips would be to soak them in rubbing alcohol. Does this really work?
Yes, this really works. The reason it does is because it is drying out the skin causing it to harden and callous over more quickly. However, you need to be carefull doing this so that when you are playing quickly your fingers don't explode into flames from the friction! LOL

dieguy

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:12 am

I am no expert here but I have a tip. Barre Chords have been a big goal of mine and I have been struggling for a while as well. I have found, as Bear has already said that hand position has made all the difference in the world for me. The key for me was to get the head of the guitar higher up in the air so my wrist is straighter. This gave me way more strength in my fingers and made the whole process much easier. The tip I referred to earlier was to add a strap button to the base of the neck on my acoustic. I tried to tie on to the head of the neck but the guitar would always want to lay horizontal instead of elevated at the head. Once I added the strap button the position of the guitar fell right into place for me and really helped my hand position and therefore my Barre Chord capabilities. It is a very easy and cheap process and I highly recommend adding one if your guitar is not currently so equipped.

hopefully that helps,

Bill

tombo1230

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 pm

carpet wrote:
[quote It would be useful for you to learn how to play some open chords with your last three (even las two) fingers, like E and A7. From there, once you're used to it, you can slide it up a fret and add your Barre. Learning to play open chords with alternative fingering will come in usefull in places other than Barre chords also, so well worth the effort.[/quote]

I totally relate to this, because I learned to play the e-shape bar chord this way. I played the e-shape with the last three fingers then moved it up a fret at a time to F, F# G G# A etc.... so good advice I think.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic