question about slash-chords or inversions

willem

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:25 pm

OMG, of course I mean the first string! :ohmy: haha, at the moment my brain is (it's 23.25 now)......gonna edit it immediately! ;)

michelew wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
I think you're right, I really get it!

I would think that /A and add9 meant adding an A-bassnote ánd another A on another string, but if I got it right, the /A shows us that the added 9 shóuld be the lowest note. Like the G/F# is actually an Gmaj7, only the maj7 (7th note on the major scale) is in the bass instead of on the, for example, sixt string. (that's the part that I did get!) So as for the last one, it would be more accurate to write it down as Gmaj7/F#??
Yep. That's my take on it too.

In the above did you mean first string ( a high F#). We normally call the bass strings 5 and 6. Is it different in Holland? I know in some old Germanic countries that used to have an H. So there may be some differences in the way you describe the guitar too.

Michele[/quote]

michelew

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:30 pm

My brain is normally on snooze-control at that time too. I might be talking and have my eyes open, but I'm really asleep. I couldn't even have a conversation about chord notation at that time.

pbraun

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Well then I'm even more impressed with what you came up with!! Now I can have a good night sleep without trying to figure out what he meant!

I remember something on your profile-info, about music-theory, well it does serve me very well at the moment! ;)
michelew wrote:
My brain is normally on snooze-control at that time too. I might be talking and have my eyes open, but I'm really asleep. I couldn't even have a conversation about chord notation at that time.

michelew

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:34 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well then I'm even more impressed with what you came up with!! Now I can have a good night sleep without trying to figure out what he meant!

I remember something on your profile-info, about music-theory, well it does serve me very well at the moment! ;)
michelew wrote:
Nesh,

It's sweet of you to say so. I was, however, just rephrasing what I understood Neil to be saying and it was about 9:00 am here. Neil is the genius. I must get back to going through the Acoustic Genius series. So much to learn still.

These sort of questions help me think about theory and highlight the gaps in my understanding (which you could drive a truck through) so thanks for starting it.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic