minor 6th

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Haha, oh yeah tables can turn easily! ;)

But are you sure?

I mean, if you'd take the III, wich is a minor-chord, the b3 isn't a note in the Cmajor-scale as well...(hmmm...reading back, I have to correct this one, it is of course a note in the majorscale)

As for the Dm, it could easily be a Dm7b5 ( D F G# C ), wich is often the case in jazzmusic, the b5 isn't a note in the majorscale..

What do you think?

carpet wrote:
My my, how the tables have turned! Yes, i can enlighten you on this one, but only because you kinda gave me the answer in the first place!

Simple: The II chord (or Dm in the key of CMaj, when adapted to a m6 chord, still contains all notes from the CMajor scale. Not so for the III and VI, or Em and Am - if you were to adapt those chords to m6, you'd be bringing in foreign notes like the C# in Em6 and a F# for Am6)ergo, for all major scales, m6 only works for II. Voila.

TGNeil

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi guys (and girls!),

I've got to commend you on figuring it out- making my job easier. You are way on the right track.

Neil

dennisg

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Well I'm getting curious more and more! ;)

TGNeil wrote:
Hi guys (and girls!),

I've got to commend you on figuring it out- making my job easier. You are way on the right track.

Neil
;)

carpet

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:54 pm

I don't know about the Dm7b5 yet, but on the other point - yes, I'm 100% certain.

Can I assume that b3 means minor 3rd? If so then, yes, it still is in the key of C. E to G is a minor 3rd (E,F,G - halfstep from E to F, wholestep from F to G = a minor 3rd).

I think, for what I'm trying to do, I can't even delve into these other chords just yet, until I know the boundaries of CMajor inside out. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it! B)

Check us out though, we got a thumbs up from Neil!

skaladar

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Haha, yeah I guess we did! ;)

From E to G is indeed a minor 3rd, but that's really another story.

The formula of a minorchord is: 1 b3 5, the b3 means you lower the third note of the majorscale with a half step, so the Cmin will be: C(1) Eb(b3) and G(5) ....

(someone has to get into my pc now, I'll get back to you later! :) )

carpet wrote:
I don't know about the Dm7b5 yet, but on the other point - yes, I'm 100% certain.

Can I assume that b3 means minor 3rd? If so then, yes, it still is in the key of C. E to G is a minor 3rd (E,F,G - halfstep from E to F, wholestep from F to G = a minor 3rd).

I think, for what I'm trying to do, I can't even delve into these other chords just yet, until I know the boundaries of CMajor inside out. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it! B)

Check us out though, we got a thumbs up from Neil!

carpet

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 pm

I agree, but only in one sense. I think the b3 refers only to it naturally being a minor third away from the root, otherwise it would mean altering the 3rd and so you would have to include 'flat 3' in the chord name and bring in an outside note. But that's by the by for now anyway. Thanks for all your help again Nesh, and good luck with your PC!

norder04

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:21 pm

I have to admit that you've left me here quite unfullfilled, Neil said we're on the right track, but I really don't think we're there yet...

You said you were 100% certain, but why then? Where did you read this, wich rules or formula did you apply?

And sure b3 by itself means 3 half steps away from another note, in a formula it specifically refers to the 3rd note of the majorscale and in a chord it ís mentioned by calling it a -m...

I have to admit, in my own language this would be múch easier, because I don't think we understand each other completely..

however yóu started this thread ;) , so tell me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic