Scale Confusion

slinger

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:19 pm

wiley wrote:
OK, I'll add to Andy's original confusion with a question of my own (hijack)

Looking at the C and then at the D, unless we play the entire 6 strings (or 5 in the case of the C) and play only the bottom 3 (or 4) we have the exact "shape" we would have using the C, do we not?

Example: D pattern, Barre at 5th fret

--------5-------
--------6-------
--------5-------
--------5-------
X---------------
X---------------

Example: C pattern, Barre at 5th fret

--------5-----
--------6-----
--------5-----
--------7-----
--------8-----
X-------------

Perhaps I have answered my own question, EXCEPT, that D pattern moved and became an "F" chord, as did the C pattern? So, by using the C pattern, are we not actually doing no more than 'embelishing' the same chord with a fuller/richer bottom end? Not that it would be a bad or undesirable thing in certain cases!
Wiley your on to it!
...but your 2 example appears to me using "same" major C scale pattern which now has become F chord and F scale
Ex 1 would be F/G chord F with G in base when played
Ex 2 would be full F chord as a C shape

Your Ex1 should be

--------5-------
--------6-------
--------5-------
--------3-------
X---------------
X---------------

for D pattern usage for F chord and scale

hope were on the same page and I haven't muddy the waters

BigBear

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:24 pm

AndyT wrote:
What I'm doing now is practicing each scale pattern individually.
As I memorize each one I should be able to solo on it easily. Once I have them all down solid, then I will have the entire scale and I should be able to run back and forth on the neck in my solos.
Andy- I also own Fretboard Logic and the DVD. Bill is an outstanding guitarist but his books leave me in the dust. His "logic" doesn't seem to register with my engineeing brain. Or maybe I'm just obtuse.

After you feel comfortable with the individual patterns start playing them in pairs using the common right hand notes. And build from there. Play mind games with yourself. Play pairs of patterns, skip a pattern, shift to a G#m pattern. Just mix it up.

Where Fretboard is good is his demonstration of playing runs (patterns) up and down the neck not just across it. I use the C and G runs all the time in chord soloing. It's easy to get stuck playing patterns across the neck when in fact the real fun starts when you go up and down the neck AND across catching pieces of the various scale patterns as you go.

You probably know this already but watch for the little mini-patterns within the full pattern. For example, the "House" that Albert King made famous occurs directly under each root note on the 6th string.

For example, you are playing the G pattern starting on the 6th string G. The "House" is directly below it, 1st string G and A, 2nd string D and E and 3rd string A. It forms a little house with a roof on it. Literally, thousands of rock and blues solos have revolved around this amazingly simple little pattern. Playwith it in every possible pattern or combination you can think of. I've had a lot of fun with it.

One other tip that helped me a lot, and it sounds silly, but while I was learning the pantatonic patterns I said out loud, every time I played the root of the pattern. There are usually three in every pattern. Knowing the roots of the patterns always gives you a "home" note to resolve or go back to. I can't tell you how many times I was playing a lead or fill and the song was about to change and I realized I was stuck in "no man's land" not being able to finish what I was trying to play. But know the root always gave me a place to quickly get back to.

Andy- I think learning these patterns, and being able to go off on my own when others are playing chords, is the single most fun thing I've ever learned on the guitar. I'm still not great at but I'm not afraid to at least try it and I'm not scared to death of hitting foul notes!

Keep learning buddy, you'll thank yourself later!!

Cheers! :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks

AndyT

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Andy Wrote:

Now that I see
Didn't Thomas say something similar!

:laugh: :laugh:
Aye lad. That he did. That he did. And blessed he was for it.

AndyT

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Rick,

Sounds great! I'll mess with that.

I have noticed that as I play, I hear hundreds of songs I already know in my playing. It's amazing how one simple little riff keeps showing up in so many songs in so many different styles. Scales are the real crossover way to play.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic