Confused and frustrated

thedancer

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi Neil. Just wanted to say that you’re confusing and frustrating me by not sticking to the points you want to get across. I think it would be a good Idea for you to take a look at the acoustic genius section, scales & patterns to see if you can make them easier to watch and understand. I look forward to hearing what you think. The Dancer

MarkM

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Dancer,

It may be more helpful if you could elaborate on a specific issue. Reading your question I'm not sure what you are refering too execpt that the scales and patters section is frustrating you. I hope you get your question answered.

MarkM

thedancer

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi mark .

I get frustrated when Neil goes of what he is explaining and then starts talking about a related subject and then says that what he has just said is in another place then starts talking about the original subject and this keeps happening all the time. I would like him to keep to the point he is trying to get across and it would make learning so much easier for me.

TGNeil

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi Dancer

Sorry to hear something is not coming through clearly. Please let me know specifically what is confusing and frustrating. The Acoustic Genius package is really designed to be small pieces of the big picture that should help focus things as each element becomes clearer. I will be happy to review the issues if you let me know exactly where it is losing you.

Neil

Edit- I see our posts just crossed paths.

chacho

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi Dancer

I have read your post and decided to look at the scales and patterns in the acoustic genius section.
I have looked at the first video in the scales and pattern section and am not understanding your gripe.
I have viewed Part 1:
http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... .html#song

All I can say is that Neil is very detailed with his explanations which to me is very much a positive but I can't see where he diverses as you have stated.
Could you copy and paste the video link you are referring to and give the time reference so we all can see what you are referring to and this will allow Neil and his team to answer your query.

Thanks Chacho

neverfoundthetime

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm a coach and teacher too and shoot off on tangents and waffle around 50% of the time... and that's when I'm at my most lucid!
Lucky we have the rewind button on the video's Dancer.... I rewind and listen again even when I have understood, just to engrave it into my head one more time.

BigBear

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:31 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I'm a coach and teacher too and shoot off on tangents and waffle around 50% of the time... and that's when I'm at my most lucid!
Lucky we have the rewind button on the video's Dancer.... I rewind and listen again even when I have understood, just to engrave it into my head one more time.

Just 50%?! Seems low to me!! roflmao!! :silly:

thedancer

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Neverfoundthetime
It is the shooting off on tangents and the waffle as you call it that is the problem for me. I know Neil is trying to give us that bit extra. However, I am not at the stage where that bit extra is helping me. I need to be told only what is essential.
The Dancer

thedancer

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi Chacho
You can please some of the people some of the time but you can’t please all of the people all of the time is the thing that comes to mind. All I am doing is giving Neil some feedback on my learning experience so that he can please more of the people more of the time. Meaning complete beginners like myself .It is not a gripe.
The Dancer

dennisg

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Dancer,

I think your comment is totally legitimate, and you have every right to express it. As others have suggested, you will make your point that much more credible if you provide a concrete example of a place where you think Neil goes into the weeds.

Neil's a terrific guitar teacher, but he has the same character flaw we all have: he's human, and he occasionally digresses. I think that's what comes out of shooting videos that aren't scripted. I think if I were in his shoes, I'd be all over the place, interjecting random thoughts, saying hi to old girlfriends, lamenting the loss of a dog I loved, wondering what's going to become of Egypt, and then completely forgetting what point I was originally making.

I'm sorry ... what was your question?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic