Scale Down

thedancer

Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:26 am

Hi
Scale = an arrangement of notes in ascending or descending order or pitch.

I have been getting so confused and frustrated with my guitar playing and lack of progress that I convinced myself it was Neil’s fault.

The Truth of the matter. It was my fault.

Over the last couple of days I have had a eureka moment.

I have realised my mistake. I was trying to run before I could walk.

Scale down = Reduce in size or number.

I now take one piece of information, eat it and digest it so that I get the full nutritional value from it. This makes me feel more relaxed about learning to play my guitar because I have realised that I need to take baby steps. And even though I am now taking baby steps at least I am stepping in the right direction.
So if there are any beginners out there getting confused or frustrated my advice would be?

Scale down = Reduce in size or number. Take baby steps and keep stepping in the right direction.

Dancer

garner

Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:35 am

Hi Dancer,

I'm very glad to hear you're feeling better and moving into the right direction, so just keep it going!

And still, feell free to fire away with your questions.. :)

Cheers

tovo

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:26 am

Sounds like a pretty good conclusion you have reached there fella. I'm glad. I agree with Ness, keep asking your questions, even if you eventually figure out the answer yourself!

willem

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:38 am

I'm glad you dance again....

skaladar

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:32 am

Hiya Dancer,

Eureka moments can be very reassuring. I'm glad you had yours and seem to be feeling a little better about things. I agree with you 100%. Often when I look at a piece for the first time I think I'll never be able to get thru it let alone play it with any confidence. However, by breaking it down to small pieces and taking my own baby steps, if you will, everything eventually begins to fall into place. I find a tremendous amount of personal satisfaction in that even if it had given me my share of frustrating moments.

Keep up the good work and a positive attitude ...

Ken

thedancer

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:43 am

Hi

I would like to thank everyone for their help, support and encouragement.

Dancer

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:42 am

Dancer:

Sound advice!

Important thing to remember as well, is that what is easy for some is not necessarily easy for others. You will come across things that you will soar through and wonder why others are so difficult. Funny how that works. Lot of times you just need to air your frustrations to clear the fog and get back on track. Glad you got that "aha moment" on this one. I still struggle with using proper terminology for up/down on the guitar neck. I think in terms of real life up/down and not backwards as on the fretboard. Makes for frustrating conversations with my instructor from time to time. Good thing he is a patient dude..... B) B)

Cheers!

J

AndyT

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Dancer,
That's classic overload. We all get it from time to time. You found the correct solution. Slow down and take it a piece at a time. Once you get some basics down, things will come easier to you.

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic