Can a UK cellist and an Australian folk-rocker find their muse around Oz?

michelew

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:34 am

Hi everyone,

I read and watched this uplifting and inspirational article and videos today and thought you'd enjoy it. It's basically about musicians from around the world collaborating. The music they compose it great.

Besides being a very cool story, the first video also shows lots of footage of my backyard (Sydney), and the backyards of my extended family in Western Australia. And it reminds me that I live in a great part of the world. I think you'll find it pretty speccy (spectacular) too.

The video is part of a program called Making Tracks. Here's an excerpt from the article.

The YouTube Symphony Orchestra is a unique musical creation. Picked from the best and brightest amateur musicians from around the planet via auditions on YouTube, it fast became an internet sensation – and beyond, selling out New York's iconic Carnegie Hall for their first ever live performance in April 2009 for a show that was viewed by millions more online. Now it's Australia's turn, but we're going to do more than just host a gig: the musicians are going to draw from the beauty of some of our planet's most inspiring locations to create fresh new music.

That's what Making Tracks is all about. Four of the YouTube Symphony Orchestra traveled to some of Australia's most inspiring and evocative locations to talk to locals, see the sights and be inspired by the land itself. Those instrumentalists were London-based cellist Desmond Neysmith, Taiwanese clarinetist Irene Chen and two American musicians: Florida-born bassoonist Samuel Blair and Milwaukee violist Jasmine Beams.

They joined forces to create a series of musical tracks that will tell the story of their travels, with the resulting pieces of music certain to be a unique international musical collaboration – especially since they've been paired up with four of the nation's best up-and-coming musicians.

Here the full article about the Making Tracks program.

http://www.timeoutsydney.com.au/music/c ... racks.aspx

This is the video that shows Sydney.

Here's the other video that's available.

It really puts a different slant on the whole collaboration dealio. Imagine.... ;) B) Bring on the transporter I say! Beam me up (or you cheeky sods can come here)...

haoli25

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 am

Thanks for sharing these, Michele. All four of the musicians were good and their music had a nice flow to it. The vistas were breathtaking.

Bill

sws626

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 am

Hi Michele,

Thanks for sharing these videos. It's really inspiring -- the music, the people, the beautiful country.

-Stuart

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:06 am

Thanks Michele great to see and here. I really liked the cello with the guitar.

willem

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:33 am

Michele love your backyard..and the instruments...

buddy

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:06 am

Wáuw, now that was indeed spectacular!

I really lóved the guitar and the cello, and the song that they came up with! And you know how I feel about the guitar, but I find the cello a great instrument, one day I'll learn how to play it! :cheer:

Well you do live in a great part of the world! And that's exáctly what I mean when I see Brad's naked shoulders all the time when he posts a video :P , makes me wanna come over, hang around the beach or park or whatever and just play all day!

Anyway, thanks for sharing, but I'd definitely like a reminder that I live in a great country as well.... Well spring will start soon, so hopefully I will! ;)

Nessa

ceaser67

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:49 am

Michelle
Thanks for sharing that,cello and guitar was excellant.
if i ever win the lottery heres what i would do,
I would visit each TG friend i have around the globe,and i would write the first verse of a song about the start of the journey and the next TG friend i met on my travels would write the next verse and so on,that would be a collabaration all right,and then post it,what a giggle that would be
ah well back to work lol
Youre scottish friend
Tommy

AndyT

Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 am

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed both of those.

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks Michele!

The first one (Guitar and Cello) was beautiful. Love the concept of the project and hope it continues. Would be great if more people from around the world could find things in common rather than things that are different..... B)

Jason

dennisg

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Shel, I loved both of these videos, mainly because I find the process of two people coming up with stirring music to be incredibly fascinating. Thanks for posting these.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic