The metronome and "Dust in the Wind"

TGCheryle

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 am

People,

OK, I am looking at the sheet music; the tabs. Neil says to play the half beats at 94. I think I know what this means, but I'd like confirmation. The first pinch of the song is the beginning of a half note. Right? Then the second pinch in that measure is the beginning of the second half note. Right? So if I played just the pinches on every tick of the metronome, I would be playing that much correctly. Is that right?

Then one must get in the six remaining notes between the pinches. Is that correct?

Sam

I hope this is an appropriate place to put this thread.

suziko

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi Sam,

I'm not sure what you mean, there is only one pinch in a measure, the first beat, two half beats.

So you want to play along with the metronome setting it up at the speed of 8th notes? I watched the 'slow it down'-section of the lesson and he was playing it 100bpm, quarternotes.

Could you explain again what you're asking here?

sbutler

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Hello Vanessa

Well, I'm totally confused now.

First...I was listening to the eighty part, "Up to Speed" where Neil says there are 94 half notes.

When I wrote the above, I was referring to the sheet music from DON KIRSHNER MUSIC which I purchased years ago. This "should" be the original as Livgren wrote it. In that sheet music, the C and the Cmaj7 are contained within one measure. (I assume a measure is from vertical bar to bar.) When I look at Neil's PDF I find that the music is somewhat different.

So let me mull this over more and see what's up.

Sam

auntlynnie

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Ah I get it!

Well you mull this over more! ;)

Cheers

Vanessa

twocat wrote:
Hello Vanessa

Well, I'm totally confused now.

First...I was listening to the eighty part, "Up to Speed" where Neil says there are 94 half notes.

When I wrote the above, I was referring to the sheet music from DON KIRSHNER MUSIC which I purchased years ago. This "should" be the original as Livgren wrote it. In that sheet music, the C and the Cmaj7 are contained within one measure. (I assume a measure is from vertical bar to bar.) When I look at Neil's PDF I find that the music is somewhat different.

So let me mull this over more and see what's up.

Sam

Lavallee

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Well, I've mulled until I'm slightly over-mulled.

I can find no half notes in this sheet music. The alternating base notes, the 5 and 4 strings, are eighth notes and there are eight of them in the measure. Considering the very first pinch in the song, beginning on C, the 5 string is held for an eighth and the 2 string is a dotted eighth.

I wanted to scan the sheet and attach it, but my scanner is broke.

Just ain't my day.....

Sam

Lavallee

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Sam,

Alright, what do you mean by half notes exactly?

What does the sheets say, is it 4/4, or 8/8, tell me?

Lavallee

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Vanessa

It is in 4/4 time.

I am going to attach a photo I took. Maybe it will work.

If not, I'll try something else.

Sam Image

OK, seems to have worked. You can see the two pinches which I originally asked about.

Lavallee

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Alright, I do get it....every other bass note is written down as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and wich makes all the notes in between 16th notes.....while in Neil's sheets the bassnotes are written down on the beats 1 2 3 4/1 2 3 4 wich makes all the other notes 8th notes..(actually the bassnotes are as well)

May I ask, why not just use Neil's pdf? It réally makes a lót more sense...

buddy

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:35 am

Vanessa

Perhaps you're right; I should use Neil's PDF. But what if I had never seen it? I am trying to learn to read music. Can you imagine how aggravating it is to buy sheet music and not know if it's right? Like buying a 34-inch yardstick!

Let me rephrase my original question, which is all I care about. My metronome is set at 94. Each time it ticks, what are my fingers doing? I think it's on the pinches.

You have been a lot of help and I appreciate it.

Sam

ffsooo3

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:07 am

twocat wrote:
Vanessa

Perhaps you're right; I should use Neil's PDF. But what if I had never seen it? I am trying to learn to read music. Can you imagine how aggravating it is to buy sheet music and not know if it's right? Like buying a 34-inch yardstick!

Let me rephrase my original question, which is all I care about. My metronome is set at 94. Each time it ticks, what are my fingers doing? I think it's on the pinches.

You have been a lot of help and I appreciate it.

Sam
Hi Sam, I'm no expert here but I'll give you my 2 cents. If your metronome is counting the beats 1 2 3 4 (and it doesn't matter if it's 94BPM or 80BPM or 120BPM) and we are talking about the tab music in your post here (and not Neil's version) look at the bass notes in the 1st measure (the down-stemmed notes). There are 8 bass notes in the measure. They are 8th notes. The 5th string 3rd fret note (a C note BTW) will be played on the downbeats (beats 1 2 3 & 4). The 4th string 2nd fret (an E note) will be played on the up-beats (ie. the "ands" between the beats). So the 2 pinches will be played on beats 1 & 3.

Now to "fit the other notes in" is a little harder to explain in words but I'll try. Counting in 8ths is easy: "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" (like counting the bass notes in the 1st measure). Counting in 16ths goes like this: "1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a" (where the 1 2 3 4 fall on the metronome click). So the 1st up-stemmed note after the 1st pinch in the 1st measure (the open 3rd string) would be struck on the "a" of the "1 e and a". Does that make sense?

Daryl

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic