The metronome and "Dust in the Wind"

willem

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:20 am

A great help(i think)is to purchase guitarPRO 6 and let that be your metronome...

sws626

Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:16 am

Sam,

I think you've probably sorted this out by now. In the sheet music and tabs you've shown, your metronome tics will fall on the four low C notes of the first measure (5th string, 3rd fret) if set to represent quarter notes (as indicated at 96bpm in the sheet).

-Stuart

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:50 am

...how happy I am to just listen to the tune and pick up my guitar and play along trying to sound the same and suspend thinking. Works most of the time. My brain would seriously hurt with all that calculating and de cyphering going on here. Yeah, I know it will coma back to bite me one day but for now...
:-).

sws626

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:39 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
...how happy I am to just listen to the tune and pick up my guitar and play along trying to sound the same and suspend thinking. Works most of the time. My brain would seriously hurt with all that calculating and de cyphering going on here. Yeah, I know it will coma back to bite me one day but for now...
:-).
Hey Chris,

I hear you. But I'd be even more happy never to have to listen to this particular tune ever again. I know it is a standard piece for a lot people learning Travis picking; but I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard.

Alternatives? : 'John Barleycorn Must Die,' 'May the Circle Be Unbroken,' 'Freight Train.' 'Hesitation Blues.'

-Stuart

tovo

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:58 am

Sam,

On every tick of the metronome (using Neil's tab), you play a bassnote, wich alternates, all the other notes are played in between. So try to play the bassnotes first, then add the other notes.

And yes, I know, it's annoying, but you always need to check sheetmusic or a tab (although there is nothing wrong with your sheetmusic, it's just written down differently), I spend quite an amount of my time doing that. Except over here, a tab from Neil, I don't question at all, I just play it! ;) :P

twocat wrote:
Vanessa

Perhaps you're right; I should use Neil's PDF. But what if I had never seen it? I am trying to learn to read music. Can you imagine how aggravating it is to buy sheet music and not know if it's right? Like buying a 34-inch yardstick!

Let me rephrase my original question, which is all I care about. My metronome is set at 94. Each time it ticks, what are my fingers doing? I think it's on the pinches.

You have been a lot of help and I appreciate it.

Sam

sbutler

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:00 pm

OK, this is really bugging me..............

I've worked on this song almost exclusively since I last posted. If someone could take the time to help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Referring to the lesson, Part 5, "What the Right Hand Does"...........

Beginning on C, I hear the pinch followed by six distinctive notes, just as it is written--in either Neil's PDF or in the sheet music I purchased.

Referring to the lesson, Part 7, "Slow it Down"............

I distinctly hear the pinch on C, but it is only followed by five notes, not six.

Now--you ask--why do I care? Well, I can play all seven notes in the measure and get them in proper time and it sounds nothing like Neil or any of the really good players who've posted on U-Tube. For the life of me, I cannot make it sound like the pros.

I'd gladly buy Guitar Pro 6, if I thought it would help. I'd probably eat a raw skunk if it would help..............

So, there........

HELP..

Sam

Aside to Vanessa: Just heard your rendition of "If you Could Read My Mind" by Lightfoot. Truly beautiful. I'm in awe!

jayswett

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Sam,

I'm not sure if it was already suggested by someone, but why don't you post a video? It'll make all the difference in the world, really!

Please consider that, it might be minor things or maybe not, that's why you're over here, to let Neil teach you, but you have to show him (or us) what's going on..

On the other hand, trust me, GuitarPro is worth it, just get the software and you can hear what's happening, you can slow it down and so on.

Cheers

Vanessa

btw thank you véry much for your sweet words on my video, am very happy that you've enjoyed it, I really appreciate it! :cheer:

sws626

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi Sam,

We're here to help. I'd second Vanessa's suggestion that you post video. I recall having a similar feeling when I started trying to learn "Just Breathe." Just seemed like too many notes. Turned out to be a matter of emphasis and I'm sure no one could have helped me with seeing and hearing what I was doing.

Listening to anyone play "Dust in the Wind" is just about the last thing I would volunteer to do; but, if you post, I will listen and comment, as I'm sure will many others. And then I'm sure one of us will be able to hear what's going on and help you out.

-Stuart

prawnpig

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

@ Vanessa and Stuart..........

I will make a video tomorrow night. I will play it both ways and you can see what I'm saying.

@ Stuart

It's not the song; I could never sing it even if I could play it. It's just that the thing has me puzzled.

Oops.........

Someone is jerking my leash.......

Sam

tgjameela

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Well, I did it! Don't have to eat no skunk; Stuart don't have to listen to no "Dust".....................

I Totally don't understand why this song is done this way by so many people. But no matter; I can make it sound just like Neil in "slow down" mode and now I can work on speed.

No more "Dust" from this Okie..........

Sam

But a big THANKS for the offers of help. Always like to do it myself if I can.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic