The metronome and "Dust in the Wind"

Lavallee

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Well I'm very pleased to hear that Sam, good for you!

For what it's worth, I would have loved to hear your rendition on the song......almost a shame that you figured it out by yourself... ;)

Cheers and happy 'Dust in the wind'-playing! :P

Vanessa

sws626

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Ha! Not off the hook so easily, twocat. We still want to hear you play it. Or at least tell us what it was that finally clicked for you.

-Stuart

twocat wrote:
Well, I did it! Don't have to eat no skunk; Stuart don't have to listen to no "Dust".....................

I Totally don't understand why this song is done this way by so many people. But no matter; I can make it sound just like Neil in "slow down" mode and now I can work on speed.

No more "Dust" from this Okie..........

Sam

But a big THANKS for the offers of help. Always like to do it myself if I can.

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:05 pm

OK, you talked me into it. Hang loose........

TGMatt

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Haha, I will! :P

twocat wrote:
OK, you talked me into it. Hang loose........

mark

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 pm

I have no idea the proper way to post a video, so I will just link it. Hope it works.

I used a few seconds of Neil's playing in this video. If I have crossed a line, let me know and I'll kill it quickly. This video is not viewable by the public; only by the link above.

I have played this many times with a ear bud in one ear and my guitar in the other. I think I have it right, but any criticism is welcome.

What I'm playing is a pinch on the 5th and 2nd string, then the 4th, then 3rd, then 5th, then 2nd, and finally the 3rd.

It may not be right, but it's good enuf for me an Bobby Mcgee.

Sam

EDIT: Why my beautiful voice and striking likeness are not in synch, I cannot say!

willem

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:51 am

twocat wrote:
[quote]

What I'm playing is a pinch on the 5th and 2nd string, then the 4th, then 3rd, then 5th, then 2nd, and finally the 3rd.

Hi TWOCAT,when you play it like that then the last note must sound like a quarter note,,it is not what i hear,,i hear PINCH--2AND 3AND 4AND,,but i don't want to confuse you,,,i am much used to that pickin,,lets see what others give you,,

EDIT: i listen to the slow down bY Neil and i think i know what you mean,, BUT THEN your last note must be played with your thumb on the 4 string and sound a quarter. i think it is possible,,but when you play the last thumb note it is easy the pick a other note after that,,,when i listen to the slowdown i hear pinch 2and 3and 4and

skaladar

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:26 am

Hiya Sam,

Thanks for posting the video and the explanation.

I've been watching this thread because early on I did use Dust as an exercise in Travis picking. I used Neil's lesson notes and, to a lesser extent, the Guitar Pro tablature to work out the fingering. So for me there was no conflict in differing sheet music. I didn't have any real problems other than actually bringing it up to speed but even then I had no question about the number of notes played in each measure. Now that you've posted your video I've reviewed what I was working from and perhaps this can shed some light on the issue. The following is a clip of the first 7 measures of Dust as replayed in Guitar Pro. It has been slowed down to 50% of the original speed for clarity. I clearly shows the pinch as a quarter note followed by six eight notes in each measure.

I notice that in the video you are counting 1,2,3,4,5,6 and that is not at a steady pace. Since the piece is in 4/4 time with the first beat being a quarter note and the rest being eight notes I would count that as "1, 2 and, 3 and 4 and" completing the measure at a steady pace.

I also see that you say "What I'm playing is a pinch on the 5th and 2nd string, then the 4th, then 3rd, then 5th, then 2nd, and finally the 3rd." ... comparing the tablature and what you are playing it would appear you are missing the last note played with the index finger on the 3rd string.

I hope I've understood and explained what I think may be the root of your confusion clearly enough and that listening and seeing the Guitar Pro playback has added some clarification.

♫ Ken ♫

sws626

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:58 am

Hi Sam,

Thanks for posting this -- and thanks also to Ken for the GP video, which i think should help out a lot. I think Ken is right about the biggest part of the problem lying in the way you are counting the notes. Instead of trying to count the notes you think you are hearing (1,2,3,4,5,6...) count instead the beats as 1, 2 and, 3 and, 4 and... I haven't listened to Neil's lesson, but the GP file and my vague memory of the song would suggest a pinch on beat 1, followed by a bass note played with the thumb on beats 2, 3, and 4 and treble notes played with the first or second fingers on the offbeat "ands".

-Stuart

Chasplaya

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 am

Hi Sam, great to see and hear you! ;)

Maybe this will help as well to complete the picture.

Cheers Vanessa

suziko

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 am

Hey...........

Talk about your responses!! Thanks a ton--NO!..a ton and an eighth!

I must be away from the computer and guitar for a day or so for family commitments, but I will study each post carefully.

Quoting Gomer Pyle...."Thankyee, thankyee, thankyee."

Sam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic