A truly sublime experience

AndyT

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:24 am

I know that each of us has at least a few moments when we sat with our guitar, just picking random notes and suddenly ... You get this awesome feeling wash over you that tells you in no uncertain terms that this is what you were meant to do. I had another one of those moments tonight and it really stirred my spirit.

I know you've had them. When was it and what was it?

willem

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:15 am

Hi Andy,,,yeah i got that when the chord/melody from Angie came out and i kinda got it....I only strummed that thing for a long time and maybe that helped me to get the melody or a kinda of Keith Richards playing in it,,hope i understand you right..

lueders

Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi Andy,

I think this is an interesting question, but I'm not sure if I'm getting it....'that this is what you were meant to do'? Could you explain your experience and your question again?

Cheers

Vanessa

AndyT

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Ness,

"This is what I was meant to do". It means "This is the reason I was born. To do this."

I was in service at church and I sat down and was sort of absentmindedly playing random notes (unplugged offstage) when a feeling came over me that made me feel like I should have been a guitar player my entire life. And I felt really good that I had finally found my spot. It moved me deep in my spirit and gave me new motivation to practice more and have more fun with it.

tovo

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:07 pm

I think this is a pretty interesting question. At my level and experience I can say with honesty I have never had that "born to play" feeling as you described Andy, but I have plenty of moments when I feel a sense of joy that I can pick up a guitar and make some music. Any music. I guess we spend a hell of a lot of our lives doing things we know we must do, but which don't make us particularly happy or fulfilled. That's where guitar fills a void I think.

tombo1230

Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 am

AndyT wrote:
Ness,

"This is what I was meant to do". It means "This is the reason I was born. To do this."

I was in service at church and I sat down and was sort of absentmindedly playing random notes (unplugged offstage) when a feeling came over me that made me feel like I should have been a guitar player my entire life. And I felt really good that I had finally found my spot. It moved me deep in my spirit and gave me new motivation to practice more and have more fun with it.
The guitar allows you to be creative and express this creativity, perhaps you were realising deep down that you had filled that creative void and you were feeling a satisfaction from this, or/and you were feeling the joy of being appreciated by others at church, or maybe it is what you should have been doing and the guitar fits, feels familiar, comfortable? Whatever it was it's all good. :) Personally, playing guitar has become a part of me.

Tom.

sws626

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:05 am

AndyT wrote:

Hi Andy,

I can say with more or less absolute certainty that I've never had an experience that led me to believe that playing the guitar was the reason I was born. But I have sometimes felt a special connection with the instrument or had an epiphany in which something about the way I am playing suddenly works in a way it never had for me before. Those are great moments, to be sure.

-Stuart

Chasplaya

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:14 am

sws626 wrote:
AndyT wrote:

Hi Andy,

I can say with more or less absolute certainty that I've never had an experience that led me to believe that playing the guitar was the reason I was born. But I have sometimes felt a special connection with the instrument or had an epiphany in which something about the way I am playing suddenly works in a way it never had for me before. Those are great moments, to be sure.

-Stuart
Wot Stuart said

tovo

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Well Andy, I really thought about this question and I really think that I never had such an experience, spiritually I have, but not guitar-wise.....the guitar feels as my right hand, when holding it, it feels as my comfort zone, it's one of the few things that I love the most in life....but that's about it...

But I'm sure it was a great experience for you! ;)

Cheers

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic