Probably a dumb question on D/F# and D7/F#

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:11 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
[quote]Hi Kevin,

If I may, I'd like to add something as well, when playing this chord, mute the 5th string, the A. Using your thumb for the F# in the bass makes it not very possible. So for that you might wanna use your index as already suggested by Suzi. Although I do use my thumb for that one all the time, but when strumming you really need to avoid the 5th string. Pick the 6th string (on the first beat for example, that is if you wanna use your thumb) and continue strumming the other strings bút the 5th string.

Sure, an A is part of a D-chord, but you don't want to hear that one when playing a F# in the bass.

Hope that helps as well! ;)

Cheers

Vanessa

If i can add something to Ness's something, what is said about the muting of the 5th string applies to the D/F# but maybe not so much the D7/F# it can be left open and played.

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Oh gosh, I opened a can of wurms! :ohmy: Thanks Shel! :blink: :P

And I don't know how to back it up in english, let's say that it is óften done that way and that playing three different bassnotes will 'wring' (is that the right word?), that is the sound. However theoretically it's just fine, since an A is part of a D-chord.

Whew! :blink:

michelew wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
Hi Kevin,

If I may, I'd like to add something as well, when playing this chord, mute the 5th string, the A. Using your thumb for the F# in bass makes it not very possible. So for that you might wanna use your index as already suggested by Suzi. Although I do use my thumb for that one all the time, but when strumming you really need to avoid the 5th string. Pick the 6th string (on the first beat for example, that is if you wanna use your thumb) and continue strumming the other strings bút the 5th string.

Sure, an A is part of a D-chord, but you don't want to hear that one when playing a F# in the bass.

Hope that helps as well! ;)

Cheers

Vanessa
I didn't know that about avoiding the open A. I figured it was safe as it's part of the chord I guess. So why don't you want to hear tha A here? Does it start to sound like a type of F# min chord?

So much to learn. I definitely need to start the theory again.

Ta

Michele[/quote]

kpenhorwood

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Yeah, I didn't know that about the Open A either. Why is it okay on the D7 but not the D? Just curious? It does sound better that way though......

Kevin

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:03 pm

kpenhorwood wrote:
Yeah, I didn't know that about the Open A either. Why is it okay on the D7 but not the D? Just curious? It does sound better that way though......

Kevin
My theory knowledge is expended lol, Some of these things I just know to do and not the why? One of the reason for belonging to this site is to expand my theory knowledge.

So can't answer your question sorry.

Waiting patiently on someone with superior theory knowledge to come along now...

familyman4

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Alright, I might as well try to add some more about this (at this point, I would really like english to be my motherlanguage! :( ), slashchords (actually inversions) are often used to create a descending or ascending bassline (it gives direction), like going from C to Am, or from G to Em. These two examples are played in music áll the time!

In the first example it'll be: C G/B Am, so the bassline is C B A

Second example: G D/F# Em, so the bassline is G F# E

In those cases you wánt to hear the bassline, so when playing a D/F# with also an A really changes the sound and direction of that specific bassline, wich is G F# E. It'll wring...so in the end it is really about how you want it to sound. When following a bassline you don't want to hear another bassnote at the same time.

I have to admit that playing a D7/F#, a chord wich is often used in another context, I would mute or don't play the A-string as well. Three bassnotes played at the same time sound too much. When fingerpicking and picking those bassnotes individually might be another story.

I hope I haven't opened the can even more so! :blink:

Vanessa

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Certainly not a dumb question Kevin... and The Only Living Boy In NY is probably my fav S&G song... nice choice!

tovo

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:32 pm

The only dumb question is one you don't ask apparently. Although I once asked a supermodel if she was keen for a drink. That proved to be a pretty dumb question. However....this one was a good one and this is a real good thread. Thanks for starting it Kevin.

michelew

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:51 pm

THANKS Teach! Teachers that is.

Learning all the time.

Thanks for asking such a dumb question Kevin. Please do it more often.

Michele

willem

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:20 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Alright, I might as well try to add some more about this (at this point, I would really like english to be my motherlanguage! :( ), slashchords (actually inversions) are often used to create a descending or ascending bassline (it gives direction), like going from C to Am, or from G to Em. These two examples are played in music áll the time!

In the first example it'll be: C G/B Am, so the bassline is C B A

Second example: G D/F# Em, so the bassline is G F# E

In those cases you wánt to hear the bassline, so when playing a D/F# with also an A really changes the sound and direction of that specific bassline, wich is G F# E. It'll wring...so in the end it is really about how you want it to sound. When following a bassline you don't want to hear another bassnote at the same time.

I have to admit that playing a D7/F#, a chord wich is often used in another context, I would mute or don't play the A-string as well. Three bassnotes played at the same time sound too much. When fingerpicking and picking those bassnotes individually might be another story.

I hope I haven't opened the can even more so! :blink:

Vanessa

Does the can have a top..i don't hope so..when i learned about the slash/chords the world went open and after this explain even more..oke the top can on the can in that matter(i geuss),,but i hope there will be more dumb qeustions 'cos they aren't.....THANKS KEVIN for asking..

sws626

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:10 am

jayswett wrote:
At the risk of getting my wrist slapped, I will cautiously add that another way to play the D/F# chord is to play a normal D chord, and wrap your thumb over the top to fret the 6th string, 2nd fret. There are times when this fingering is a bit easier. Having said that, it is definitely beneficial to become comfortable with both fingerings.
There are going to be a lot of times when the thumb wrap Jay describes is the only sane way to play a chord like this. I'm still trying to break what I thought were decades of good habits to come to terms with this. Seems now like every few weeks I find my aversion to wrapping the thumb to cover the 6th string is holding me back.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic